Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Assassin Tanking? 
Forum Admin

Post Assassin Tanking?
I'm not completely sold on my marauder. Don't get me wrong, I really like the class. What I don't like is having trouble getting groups because the only role I fill is DPS. Honestly, my play time with a baby is far too limited to be concerned about things like getting groups so I'm considering switching classes to my usual tanking role. I never have problems getting groups as a tank.

My understanding is that my choices are:

Juggernaut - Single lightsaber, heavy armor mitigation tank.
Powertech - Guns & Flamethrower, heavy armor mitigation tank.
Assassin - Double-bladed lightsaber, medium armor avoidance tank.

Of those 3 classes, the one that interests me most is the Assassin simply because it doesn't feel like it's completely defensive like the juggernaut (I also really prefer the look of the Assassin). Moreover, I want to continue my marauder as well--so I don't want to do the whole Sith Warrior thing again. I'm skeptical of avoidance tanking so I'm asking some of you higher level folks:

1. Have you tanked as an assassin? (I'm looking at you, Vannis) Does it work well?
2. Have you grouped with an assassin tank?

I'm curious as to whether the Assassin can be a legit tank.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
BbB Member

Post Re: Assassin Tanking?
I've tried tanking a couple instances, though I'm not by any means an expert. I had no problems tanking hammar station as a dps spec assassin. From what I've read, we are pretty decent at higher lvls, and some high lvl raids have actually been completed using assassins. I would still spec dps while lvling, as we don't get good at tanking until relatively deep into the tanking tree, but by all means, go for it.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:39 pm

I have done quite a few heroics with Assassin tanks. They do just as well as either of the other tanks. AoE threat wasn't an issue and they have the ability to CC one mob from stealth.

If you are thinking about tanking with the Assassin I would level up as the tank spec. This way you don't have to respec at 50 and try to figure out what everything does when it's time to start running high level instances. Get used to what all your skills and cool downs do while you are leveling.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:45 am
Profile YIM
BbB War

I have specced assassin tank since lvl 10, and I love it. I have tanked almost every flashpoint up to the Foundry (lvl 40ish FP) and have not had any issues related to being viable or not. I have never had a healer complain i was too squishy. I had some issues with AOE control early on, but that has been fixed with a couple mid to late abilities.

One correction to your list however, Assassins wear light armor, not medium. Also, having not played the other tanks or compaired stats, i am not sure how much more mitigation they have. The tanking stance assassins get gives a large buff to your armor. I honestly just havn't looked into it.

Play style wise, its fun. Have to keep a few buffs up, watch synergy with some other abilities that buff your lightning, put out some threat .... win.

Oh and stealthing out of a wipe is nice too, just make sure you arn't the first to leave combat, that just looks bad.

Tilburn - Mesmer

retired
Vannis - Sith Assassin (SWTOR)
Vannis - Magus (WAR)
Dumpy - Shaman (WAR)

Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:33 am
Forum Admin

It's settled. My new main is Arusellia--assassin tank extraordinaire!

With a hood.

And a double-bladed lightsaber.

TEARING ASS ALL OVER THE GALAXY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... eWcg#t=10s

Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:40 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Nalthien wrote:

Brilliant!

Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:07 pm
Profile YIM
BbB Member

Fuiri wrote:
I have done quite a few heroics with Assassin tanks. They do just as well as either of the other tanks. AoE threat wasn't an issue and they have the ability to CC one mob from stealth.

If you are thinking about tanking with the Assassin I would level up as the tank spec. This way you don't have to respec at 50 and try to figure out what everything does when it's time to start running high level instances. Get used to what all your skills and cool downs do while you are leveling.

Yeah but the problem with stealth and the CC is that some mobs have that extra aggro range for stealth. Hurts them in some FPs.

Tank spec is the only way to go on assassin/shadow...even after the nerfs. If your dps spec as an assassin in pvp...you must have a guardbot with a dedicated healer. Your damage will be high but your the wet paper bag out there.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]