Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
20+ players 

Post 20+ players
It was really good to see BbB with over 20 players consistently on last night.

I know it's way too early in the going to see how this game is going to shake out. It really does all come down to end game, and while I'm not even close to 50, I have some hopes.

My biggest problem with end game content is that it basically boils down to two things.
1. Raid
2. PvP - which always ends up either being one massive zerg fest or a game of capture the flag.

I'm too ADD for that shit and I've been experiencing it for almost 10 years of MMOs. Ugh.

Here is why I'm hopeful.

1. Obviously there is going to be the Raid and PvP content above. ok. but...

2. PvP world. Yes, not much is known about this yet, but hopefully some much needed variety to the end game PvP dynamic.
3. Space combat. It's weak right now, but it's in the game and it's a nice "additional" thing to do. I wont speculate on things to do with this as I leave it up to Bioware, but it's in game and can be used to provide additional end game content.
4. Companions. Tons of possibilities to add end game content for your toon and companion characters. seriously. Just no faction grinding please.
5. Story. I have never been compelled by a story in an MMO, sure there have been moments that were cool and every now and then I'd get a little invested, but from the opening cut scene I have been engaged. I can honestly say that I am driven more by wanting to continue the storyline than I am by wanting to advance my character. I see this as a good thing, and if they can keep the storyline engaging through end game content.

Ok, so I originally intended this post to just be a congrats with our 20+ members rocking the night last night and it turned into this introspective, but the point is that I hope this ends up being a game where the 20+ members keeps going up and not the other direction.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:06 pm

Post Re: 20+ players
I can tell you I will be around a while. I finished mt first chapter last night and it took a lot longer than I thought just because I love watching the cut scenes. Hence I am not speeding through leveling as there is a lot in my opinion to do and see. I know the layout of planets are small at this time, but all I see when I do look around is the possibility for expansion later on in the game. I know there a lot of bugs and whatnot but I am not going to let that drive me away just yet. Definitely nice seeing so many folks. It's hard for me not to jump around characters as I want to experience them all.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:32 pm
Forum Admin

Many BbB in-game is a good thing but I have to ask.... are you grouping together?

The reason I ask is because from what I have read on other boards I visit for this Game it is mainly solo play or with one other person. You have two real players and two Companions in a group.

Not a bad thing but I do remember the days of DAoC with two groups of BbB for 16 real players kicking ass in the Realm :twisted:

Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:47 pm
Forum Admin

Vyrzain wrote:
Many BbB in-game is a good thing but I have to ask.... are you grouping together?

The reason I ask is because from what I have read on other boards I visit for this Game it is mainly solo play or with one other person. You have two real players and two Companions in a group.

Not a bad thing but I do remember the days of DAoC with two groups of BbB for 16 real players kicking ass in the Realm :twisted:

I can't speak for everyone; but I know there's been a lot of grouping between me, lazaric, annathemas, and powin. We're all near the same level so that helps. I've heard about a lot of grouping in the higher levels as well.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:11 pm
Profile WWW
BbB Member

Nalthien wrote:
Vyrzain wrote:

I can't speak for everyone; but I know there's been a lot of grouping between me, lazaric, annathemas, and powin. We're all near the same level so that helps. I've heard about a lot of grouping in the higher levels as well.

As nalt said. And youll find its easier with 4 real peeps then 2 real and 2 companions. Also this is just for lvling and we do some groups for warzones too. We aren't 50 yet but there is like 7 or 8 50's. :)

Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:43 am
Profile YIM

The level 50's are grouping together all the time as well. We get together for heroic flash points only having to grab outside healers as we don't have enough at this time. But we use the same healer most of the time so the groups are good.

As for the world sizes. The planet maps are huge. Wait until you get to Belsavis, Hoth, and Alderaan. These planets are very large. And even with a speeder make you want to be faster.

Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:14 am
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

So it is true Groups are 4 really people max and your Pets, if used, take up a Group slot?

This is the same in RvR?

Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:35 pm
BbB Member

Vyrzain wrote:
So it is true Groups are 4 really people max and your Pets, if used, take up a Group slot?

This is the same in RvR?

No companions in warzones and not sure in open world right now but next patch no companions. Also there is a max size in group of 4 so if you have 3 people only 1 of the companions can be out they take up space but you can still invite a 4th and until they get in a certain range the companion will stay out same with 2 and 2 if you invite a 3rd one of the companions will go away if the 3rd comes in range of the group. So if you have a 4 man group and everyone is far enough away from each other all 4 companions can be out :P

Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:08 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

Vyrzain wrote:

This is the same in RvR?

The 4 man groups are a bit odd--it feels very small coming from 5 or 6 player groups being the norm in past games. That said, every toon is quite versatile and I think it forces everyone to contribute to the group in more than just a "spam the dps" way which feels a little more engaging to me. Companions take up a group slot--but a player will always be preferred over a Companion and the companions will automatically dismiss as needed to allow you to fill the group.

An example:

Nalthien (lvl 23) and Lazaric (lvl 22) group up. Both of their companions are with them and usable.
Annathemas (lvl 22) joins the group. Annathemas and Lazaric's companions are both automatically dismissed.
Powin (lvl 23) joins the group. Nalthien's companion is automatically dismissed.

So yes, companions "fill a group slot" but they do so intelligently.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
BbB Member

Nalthien wrote:
Vyrzain wrote:

This is the same in RvR?

The 4 man groups are a bit odd--it feels very small coming from 5 or 6 player groups being the norm in past games. That said, every toon is quite versatile and I think it forces everyone to contribute to the group in more than just a "spam the dps" way which feels a little more engaging to me. Companions take up a group slot--but a player will always be preferred over a Companion and the companions will automatically dismiss as needed to allow you to fill the group.

An example:

Nalthien (lvl 23) and Lazaric (lvl 22) group up. Both of their companions are with them and usable.
Annathemas (lvl 22) joins the group. Annathemas and Lazaric's companions are both automatically dismissed.
Powin (lvl 23) joins the group. Nalthien's companion is automatically dismissed.

So yes, companions "fill a group slot" but they do so intelligently.

and at a certain range from the group even with a Full group you can pull you pet out. :) Say you wanna tell your pet to sell junk. Probably easy to just drop group but wanted to put that out there. :) I found it nice when we had 3 peeps in the group and were just running around doing different quests but where grouped for it so if someone needed help we could run over RQ. :)

Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:24 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]