Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Add Aion to your ftp list 
BbB Member

Post Add Aion to your ftp list
Aion going FtP next week, anyone still play this or going to?

Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:34 pm
Profile ICQ

Post Re: Add Aion to your ftp list
I might check it back out when it goes FTP. Have to see what kind of restrictions there is going to be.

**EDIT**

After doing some reading the FTP is only for EU players. And there are 3 tiers of service. So to play the game the way they are used to with all the current content they are still going to have to pay a monthly fee. Although the fee is now slightly reduced. It does not appear that this will be happening to the NA version any time soon.

Although I have found a few private servers for the game.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:47 pm
Profile YIM

I started playing Aion on one of the free servers that are out there. This one has a pretty good population and is pretty stable. I rolled Ely on the Pride server if anyone decides to check it out.

http://infiniteaion.com/index.php?page=index2

Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:57 am
Profile YIM

Did some more research on Aion going free to play. And I'm not sure it is even going to be worth it. Here is a list of the differences in the 3 packages they are going to offer.

http://www.aionfreetoplay.com/website/featuresdetails/

The biggest thing I see is that the lockouts for instances is going to be 5-10 times the normal lockouts. So something that is normally a 12 hour lockout is now set to a 70 hour lockout. Means you can only do these instances every 3+ days. I'm sorry but that's a little insane. This is of course unless you want to pay $10 a month for the game. At which point the lockouts are then normal again. Will be impossible for newer players to get gear if they didn't have European accounts with characters that get moved over.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:40 pm
Profile YIM
BbB Member

I did the free trial & got sent an invite to convert to veteran account. IDK if i'll even play it tho, & probably wouldn't if i hadn't been given the free vet status.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:15 pm
Profile ICQ
Forum Admin

it just went FTP in the US too; and it's not a bad system from what I can see. That said, I have no idea how they'll make money with it. You can't buy anything of real usefulness in the game--it's mostly just "fun stuff."

Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:58 am
Profile WWW
BbB Member

Nalthien wrote:
it just went FTP in the US too; and it's not a bad system from what I can see. That said, I have no idea how they'll make money with it. You can't buy anything of real usefulness in the game--it's mostly just "fun stuff."

The consumers that are mainly into Aion are mainly asian fan peeps and they love stuff like that. So i can see them making alittle money from that but your right in the end will that pay the bills.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:27 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

Powin wrote:
Nalthien wrote:

The consumers that are mainly into Aion are mainly asian fan peeps and they love stuff like that. So i can see them making alittle money from that but your right in the end will that pay the bills.

Fair enough!

I understand their desire to avoid "pay-to-win" but I just don't see any reason to pay for what's available. I give it 2-3 months before they cave and start selling money.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:26 pm
Profile WWW

I am patching Aion 3.0 at the moment. Going to see if it's "truly free". Most games that say that limit you in one way or another. I already know one thing they did was increase the lockouts for all the instance dungeons. They now have anywhere from 4 - 46 hour lockout timers.

And it already seems that it's going to be somewhat pay-to-win. You can buy scrolls from the NC Store that increase melee crit, spell crit, attack speed, EXP boosters, and scrolls that instantly remove your lockout for a particular dungeon.There are also scrolls that increase kinah dropped from mobs, increased item drops from mobs, increased AP and more.

I will still give it a look see to find out what's going on. Not really much else going on right now game wise. Playing a lot of Dungeon Defenders, Age of Empires Online, Borderlands while waiting for Diablo 3 and Dominus. Also got into the Firefall beta and have been playing around in it some as well.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:22 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

I hadn't looked into it that deeply.

I get bored in Aion becuase after a while, I'm literally hitting the same button combo over and over as I go through the prescribed combat sequence for my class. And without a dungeon-finder, I honestly can't get groups because I don't have time these days to look around for one.

I've actually been playing a bit of Rift (started a couple of defiant toons on the Wolfsbane server). Not a lot has changed there--but the vast array of options for specs keeps me entertained for the moment in the interim.

I'm really looking forward to Diablo 3; Dominus a bit less-so. Diablo 3 more fits my ability to commit right now--given that it's not a persistent world MMO.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:36 pm
Profile WWW
BbB Member

Nalthien wrote:
I hadn't looked into it that deeply.

I get bored in Aion becuase after a while, I'm literally hitting the same button combo over and over as I go through the prescribed combat sequence for my class. And without a dungeon-finder, I honestly can't get groups because I don't have time these days to look around for one.

I've actually been playing a bit of Rift (started a couple of defiant toons on the Wolfsbane server). Not a lot has changed there--but the vast array of options for specs keeps me entertained for the moment in the interim.

I'm really looking forward to Diablo 3; Dominus a bit less-so. Diablo 3 more fits my ability to commit right now--given that it's not a persistent world MMO.

Ya im wanting to check out Diablo 3 also. And I might check out aion since its ftp also but can't afford to buy things right now lol.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:27 pm
Profile YIM

Got it loaded up and messed around for a little bit today. Seemed to be quite a few lower levels running around. Might be because it's FTP now and more are checking it out or some may of rerolled. If you are looking to play some let me know Nalty. I have a low 30's Ranger, 20's Chanter, and lowbie Templar. Just send me a text or something if you are going to play. If you don't have the number anymore PM me & I can resend it to you.

The only down side I really see are all the higher levels running around killing people. In Aion it's a little worse than DAoC or WAR with dealing with higher ranked players. If you don't have the gear + stats you won't even touch them.

And I feel you on the combat rotations. It's the same way on most of my characters as well. But some of that gets better when you get higher as you still unlock more skills and get new stigmas. Then again it's like that in most games. In most games classes have 5-6 skills to rotate through for optimal DPS. Of course this doesn't include temp buffs or defensive skills that are used as needed. Kind of sucks.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:30 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

Fuiri wrote:
And I feel you on the combat rotations. It's the same way on most of my characters as well. But some of that gets better when you get higher as you still unlock more skills and get new stigmas. Then again it's like that in most games. In most games classes have 5-6 skills to rotate through for optimal DPS. Of course this doesn't include temp buffs or defensive skills that are used as needed. Kind of sucks.

Yeah, to an extent I agree. But some other games do a great job of letting you be situational. I know I was a big fan of Aion's "chaining" system for combat when the game first came out--but over time it just makes your toon ultra-repetitive. Even if I want to hit this other skill, I'd be giving up a chain to do it...ugh.

Not saying it's bad; but I do get fairly bored due to the slow time to kill mobs and running through the same chains over and over.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:11 pm
Profile WWW

And you want to know the funny or ironic part of all that? I love Everquest. It's still one of the best MMO's I have played over the years. But as a melee character in that game you have very little in the of moves. True melee classes got kicks & bash. That was about it. Hybrids had the ability to use melee with an assortment of spells from their parent classes. Shows how we kind of nit pick about things. But at the same time how things have come along. Everquest, DAoC, and Star Wars Galaxies are still my top 3 games to date.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:35 am
Profile YIM
BbB War

I still have yet to play any MMO with a better melee system than Daoc. You had taunts, openers, positionals and reactionaries. Every fight you had to actively think about what button to hit rather than just mindless following a set rotation.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:55 pm

I liked the combat in Vanguard for both melee and casters. You had openers, positional, and reactive styles. But with the ability to have defensive target you also had protective styles. These were styles/spells that you could use to protect or come to the rescue of your defensive target. Then beyond that DAoC had a really good system as well.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:55 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

Oh, I remember the combat in Everquest. I would hit 3 buttons simultaneously, repeatedly during every fight:

Taunt, Kick, and Sense Heading.

OMFG sense heading.

What sucked is that even the timed progression servers didn't really go back to the way things were. I realize such an ask would basically be impossible--but it would have been a lot of fun to play circa 1999 EQ (but perhaps only for those who played back then). That said, i really enjoyed it in its time--but I wouldn't really want to go back to that kind of monotony again in gaming.

Even DAoC combat feels "meh" to me these days. Maybe it wouldn't at the high end, but I played some newb classes a few months ago and it was mostly auto-attack. Auto-attack is boring. On the flip side, I'm not sure what I'd prefer: auto-attack, or hitting a pre-determined sequence of buttons for a chain over and over.

Come to think of it, DAoC had that too.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:44 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]