Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
Elder Scrolls MMO is CONFIRMED and sounds like Daoc 2 
BbB War

Post Elder Scrolls MMO is CONFIRMED and sounds like Daoc 2
http://pc.ign.com/articles/122/1224248p1.html

Three factions!
Open world pvp!!
The entire game world of elder scrolls will be used!

Yes! :cheesy:

Thu May 03, 2012 3:25 pm
Hib Visitor

Post Re: Elder Scrolls MMO is CONFIRMED and sounds like Daoc 2
welp Bul, you managed to get me a little hard with this news.

Thu May 03, 2012 3:39 pm
BbB War

Trust me bro I'm trying not to bust out of my pants. I've been praying that Firor was going to make an Elder Scrolls MMO like a Daoc 2 version and it sounds like he is.

Thu May 03, 2012 3:44 pm
Forum Moderator

BONER!

Thu May 03, 2012 8:25 pm
Profile YIM

Sounds interesting but far to early to tell how it might be with no a lot of information out there yet. Which seems odd since they say they want to release the game next year. And I don't think I would jump to say it's DAoC 2 just yet. We definitely need more information before we can make that assumption.

Fri May 04, 2012 6:17 am
Profile YIM
BbB Officer

Well they are saying it's been development for several years now so a release in a year isn't likely but I would be really excited to play this as I love the elder scrolls series and we have yet to have that same type of 3 faction warfare that made daoc such a great game.

Fri May 04, 2012 7:41 am
BbB War

If you watch the video in the link it says the release date is "late 2013" and it has already been in development for years. They also said the entire realm of cyrodil is one big open world pvp zone where you fight for the throne of the emperor so that to me sounds like a big frontier Daoc type zone. The big reveal is going to be in june issue of game informer which I happen to have a subscription to. So once I get that I'll share more details.

Fri May 04, 2012 10:37 am
Forum Admin

Show me gameplay.

Remember: Knights of the Old Republic (and its sequel) are considered some of the best games ever made--and SWTOR isn't much of an MMO (great game--just not much of an MMO). Don't get caught up in the hype around, LOOK, WE USED SOME EXISTING IP TO MAKE A GAME!

Fri May 04, 2012 6:27 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

The only real reason I'm excited is because this is a Mark Firor game..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Firor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZeniMax_Online_Studios

Also they are using the Heroengine as was used in SWTOR.. which we know is
a good game physically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeroEngine

Sat May 05, 2012 10:16 am
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

That's cool that Firor is involved. But let's not forget:

Mark Jacobs - DAoC -> WAR
Brad McQuaid - Everquest > Vanguard: SOH

Multiple real wins in the MMORPG world hasn't really happened. Not saying it can't happen--just urging caution.

Sat May 05, 2012 10:31 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

the projects firor has done over the years have only gotten better and they have all had a
continuity to them where you can see how he has built off his past endeavors.

I have some faith in Firor based off his track record.

This may not be the game we are all hoping it will be but I think it will be a good game nonetheless.
We may all be surprised at how it does turn out though.

Mon May 07, 2012 9:50 am
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

I'm not judging one way or the other; I'm just saying: "don't buy the hype"

Wed May 09, 2012 12:10 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

I hear yah man.. I'm just being more hopeful of this one. :D

Wed May 09, 2012 1:06 am
Profile YIM

I read the June Game Informer last night. And I have to say they do seem to have some good things planned. They are bringing back one thing I loved in Everquest, public dungeons. I love dungeon crawls. Get a group together and see how far you can go exploring. I loved getting groups together to venture to places most normal groups didn't like to go. It will be good to see the return of dungeon crawls.

It appears that they might put a good PvP system in place. They are going to have the normal instanced & balanced battle grounds. But they stated that the center area of Cyrodiil will be an open PvP warzone. And you will fight for control of the Imperial City. And the player with the highest contribution will be crowned Emperor. Although they did not get into how the contribution system will work. They said this area will be dotted with forts, farms, mines, castles, and other valuable objectives to be conquered. It also says that some of the largest keeps can support battles of up to 100 vs 100 or more. These battles will contain offensive & defensive siege weapons much like DAoC it seems. And if you don't like these large battles or don't want to be part of the zerg. You can roam around picking off groups or capturing other objectives like farms, mines, and what not. And that these objectives will count towards your factions overall score to control the zone.

They did not give any information on how combat would be handled. Other than it would not be action RPG style like Oblivion or Skyrim. So we can probably assume it will be much more standard MMO'ish in targeting mobs and then firing off your skills. But I do think they said they would like to try to add some kind of active defensive or offensive skills. But we will have to wait and see on that. They also didn't mention any of the classes that might be available to play. Will have to wait on more information here as well.

The one thing that I can say concerns me up front is the contribution system. It sucked in Warhammer. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason as to how it worked. I could be there for an entire fort raid, doing plenty of DPS, getting plenty of kills, or whatever needed to be done and get next to nothing. At other times I could show up late and finish in the top 3. They are going to have to put a lot of work into a contribution system and be sure to explain exactly how it works. Otherwise players are going to hate it. And I don't want to see the same people getting this "award" all the time. I also don't want to see huge advantages given to the player crowned Emperor. Maybe a title or something they can use. But nothing to major.

Wed May 09, 2012 12:04 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

Fuiri wrote:
I read the June Game Informer last night. And I have to say they do seem to have some good things planned. They are bringing back one thing I loved in Everquest, public dungeons. I love dungeon crawls. Get a group together and see how far you can go exploring. I loved getting groups together to venture to places most normal groups didn't like to go. It will be good to see the return of dungeon crawls.

I hope people are willing / interested in this concept of the game. I'm with you: i miss some of the dungeons being public. I love instanced content that means I don't spend 2 hours to get somewhere to find if a boss is up and then wait 18 hours for him; but damn if just grabbing some folks and swinging through a place isn't fun too. Hell, I remember in DAoC there were places that you just didn't even get to in the dungeons because it got too hard.

Fuiri wrote:
And if you don't like these large battles or don't want to be part of the zerg. You can roam around picking off groups or capturing other objectives like farms, mines, and what not. And that these objectives will count towards your factions overall score to control the zone.

If that's what happens. I know that's the intention, but I can see it turning into the giant roaming zergfest that WAR was with it's capture points.

Fuiri wrote:
The one thing that I can say concerns me up front is the contribution system. It sucked in Warhammer. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason as to how it worked. I could be there for an entire fort raid, doing plenty of DPS, getting plenty of kills, or whatever needed to be done and get next to nothing. At other times I could show up late and finish in the top 3. They are going to have to put a lot of work into a contribution system and be sure to explain exactly how it works. Otherwise players are going to hate it. And I don't want to see the same people getting this "award" all the time. I also don't want to see huge advantages given to the player crowned Emperor. Maybe a title or something they can use. But nothing to major.

This. Right here. Well said. The contribution system in WAR made no sense whatsoever and Mythic never even tried to explain how it worked. Trion had a contribution system in for launch with Rift and almost immediately took it out because they couldn't get it right. The other thing that frustrated the hell out of me in the WAR system was the same 10 people would always win it and they didn't even need the rewards--thus locking out lower level folks from getting the rewards (which, in WAR, were absolutely critical) if you wanted to have any chance of surviving more than 30 seconds in PVP battles.

Wed May 09, 2012 7:55 pm
Profile WWW

I find it odd that they'll use Hero engine, while DAOC, Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind were
all made in Gamebryo engine...doesn't make sense

Tue May 15, 2012 1:30 pm
BbB Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeroEngine
It was designed for MMO's that could be why. Also star wars the old republic uses it for there MMO and it turned out fine in terms of coding(I mean I didn't really have many issues).

Also the gamebryo engine was designed for cross platform games which most of those games were cross platform. Since they are wanting to build an MMO why not use a engine designed specifically for an MMO.

Tue May 15, 2012 3:00 pm
Profile YIM

Well, since I didn't play SWTOR except beta, I can't make comment
from experience, but many people say DAOC handled pvp battles with
lots of players better than SWTOR, and lets not forget back then both
computers and network speed were worse

Tue May 15, 2012 4:29 pm
BbB Member

nikola wrote:
Well, since I didn't play SWTOR except beta, I can't make comment
from experience, but many people say DAOC handled pvp battles with
lots of players better than SWTOR, and lets not forget back then both
computers and network speed were worse

On the network speed they have had OC768 connections even back in daoc times and you can etherchannel on some cisco equipment for up to 92 terabits bandwidth. But your talking about equipment an engine is just coding if the server they used can't handle that much traffic that is there fault for not buying good equipment. granted I doubt any mmo needs 40gigabits a second especially at the fact that it will probably cost 1.5 million dollars a month. How ever Youtube and other streaming places tend to have these connections or something along those lines.

And sorry not saying that the engine daoc used was bad it isn't if it was bad so many games wouldn't have used it. But the Hero engine is still a decent engine.

Tue May 15, 2012 5:13 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Moderator

1. the gamebryo engine is well outdated.

2. they bought the heroengine so they better use it lol

Wed May 16, 2012 12:18 am
Profile YIM

Narco wrote:
1. the gamebryo engine is well outdated.

2. they bought the heroengine so they better use it lol

SWTOR is hero engine, Rift is Gamebryo, and I like Rift UI, graphics
and responsiveness in big battles better (unless there was huge
improvement in SWTOR compared to SWTOR beta)

Fri May 25, 2012 3:44 am
Forum Moderator

DaoC, Warhammer, and Skyrim were all Gamebryo engine games as well.

The UI and Graphics have little to nothing to do with the engine and everything to do with the
Textures and graphical artwork in the game. Currently both engines are similar in terms of overall feel
but the heroengine has more forward thinking tech built in like the ability to work with FMOD, PhysX,
SpeedTree, Wwise, Scaleform, and Vivox, as well as having plugins for 3D Studio Max and Maya.
Developers will have an easier time with heroengine moving forward.

Not that Gamebryo isn't a viable choice, its just lagging behind a bit. Currently the gamebryo engine
was bought and is now being developed by a korean company.

Also Heroengine is cross platform while Gamebryo is PC only. That is probably a plus for the heroengine
but I don't really care about playing MMORPGS on the Wii so personally i'd rather the engine be made
specifically for what i'm going to be playing on.

Fri May 25, 2012 7:05 am
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

Narco wrote:
The UI and Graphics have little to nothing to do with the engine and everything to do with the
Textures and graphical artwork in the game.

That statement feels a bit misleading to me; the game engine certainly factors into the game graphics (though it does not factor into UI elements at all, that is correct). While any engine is technically capable of doing just about anything--the tradeoff comes in how many CPU and GPU cycles it will take to do it (with "better" engines achieving comparable characteristics for fewer cycles).

While the look of the game is entirely dependent on the art team and graphics that Narco pointed out; the engine choice will impose certain constraints on those teams. That said, I don't know that I can name an MMO that's taken a stance of pushing graphical limits. Even Aion, for all its beauty, was nothing in terms of engine stress compared to something like Crysis (despite being on the same engine). MMOs are focused on a different set of challenges than squeezing everything possible out of hardware (which, I'm convinced is the only reason FPS games still sell) and so spend less time on making things look good.

Frankly, WAR could have been based on any engine and looked like dog shit. the Character art (especially dark elves) all looked like placeholder art that would have been dog shit on any platform.

Bottom line: Narco is right--I just felt the description was a bit misleading in saying that the engine wasn't a factor. It is--it's just nowhere near as important a factor as gaming websites would have people believe.

Fri May 25, 2012 3:37 pm
Profile WWW

Nalthien wrote:
It is--it's just nowhere near as important a factor as gaming websites would have people believe.

I agree...thats why I was surprised they didn't use engine their developer teams are already familiar with :)

Multiplatform...isn't Skyrim made for PC, PS3 and XBOX?

Fri May 25, 2012 5:46 pm
Forum Moderator

nikola wrote:
Nalthien wrote:
It is--it's just nowhere near as important a factor as gaming websites would have people believe.

I agree...thats why I was surprised they didn't use engine their developer teams are already familiar with :)

Yeah I said that statement backwards.. The Gamebryo engine is cross platform..
My statement is the same just mixed up the engines lol.. :)

And thanks for the clarification Nalth. I really didn't want to go that far into it. :D

Fri May 25, 2012 6:57 pm
Profile YIM
BbB Member

nikola wrote:
Nalthien wrote:

Yes but I doubt elder scrolls MMO will be cross platform.

Fri May 25, 2012 10:57 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]