Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
EQNext 

Post EQNext
Anyone else looking forward to this.. or as much as one can without knowing anything about it? It's about to have a huge announcement/game info release on Aug 2nd at the SOE event.

I know it's hard to put a lot of excitement on the line for a title that has shown and said nothing, but I mean, it's EQ... it "can't" be that bad can it? I for one already see myself at least playing at release, and giving it a legit try.

Anyone else?

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:27 pm

Post Re: EQNext
OH!!!! I will be there to try it out. I was in EQ beta and played it for years. It is still by far one of my favorite games. If they can take the things that made EQ great and make some changes / improvements then it should be awesome. And I actually hope they have things like hell levels, corpse runs, and needing groups to progress well. I hate how most games these days you can just solo your way through them.

My one small concern at the moment is that the game is going to release as a free to play game. I hope they don't go leaving out a ton of races and classes that you have to buy in order to play. Looking forwards to the announcement on Friday. But I'm not really getting my hopes up on it being anything jaw dropping.

** Oh, I also want to see the return of open world dungeons and raid bosses. I don't want everything to be instanced. Although some stuff can be so that people have equal chance to experience content. But I loved going to Dalnir (a place most players didn't venture), Befallen, Crushbone, Mistmore, and the list goes on. The reward was worth the risk if played in a decent group.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:22 am
Profile YIM

I know EQ2 is currently F2P and recently made it so all races and classes were available to F2P'ers. You had to subscribe though to use certain things.. anything epic loot or higher, you had to have a subscription fee, or buy the ability out of the store per character... little things like changing your advancement points... etc.. things that gave the subscriber an advantage over the f2p'er. I'd like to see both options available for EQnext.. and yes.. all that stuff you said..

Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:05 pm

Yeah, I don't want to see any restrictions on loot or leveling of any kind. If they want to limit the amount of instances you can run in a day (as long as it's a fair amount) I am okay with that. If they follow the Planetside 2 model then I think that would be good. Adding cosmetic stuff (armor/weapon skins, etc..), XP boosters, extra bag/bank/character slots. Things like that are okay. SWTOR has an okay model but I think they limit things to much.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:36 am
Profile YIM

Okay!! I just watched the live announcement and all I can say is.. OMG!!!!!!!!

Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:25 pm
Profile YIM

So far... I like what I see... and beta invites out already.. so it's not THAT far from release..

Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:23 pm

I really liked the layers of the world concept. Just going to have to see it in action. Going to suck fighting mobs and then fall in a whole that was made or popped up. I also really like the ideas with the way the world will change forever and the various ways the AI can change. That should make events and stuff a lot more fun and not so static.

And just cause some beta invites have gone out doesn't mean it will be out to soon. Sony is known for longer beta testing. I am thinking sometime late next year for release.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:47 pm
Profile YIM

aaaannnndddd now.. im playing EQ2 a bit.. lol.. I know a lot of EQ'ers are whining about EQNext not being true to EQ.. but.. i'm doing it anyways as a refresher :)

Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:29 pm

LOL.. I thought about jumping into EQ to mess around. But not having anyone to play with would suck. And now that the F2P option allows the use off all races and classes it would be a little more fun.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:22 pm
Profile YIM

I was talking to a friend of mine who I played EQ with for years. And we got to wondering how they will do leveling in the game. Will they go with and stick to the way most games do it today and send you from quest hub to quest hub leveling off quest? Or will they take a page from original EQ and have dungeon crawls and groups setting up camp somewhere and XP farming mobs. I personally hope they have dungeon crawls and XP groups. I miss both of those experiences in gaming now. Maybe they will have both options for people that have different play styles or people that like to do both.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:58 am
Profile YIM

I thought they said no levels at all... if that's the case, then perhaps the old way of UO! just leveling your skill.. not your character.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:59 pm

You now. I missed that somewhere along the way. It seems as though their system is going to be a cross between Guild Wars 2 with different weapons offering different play styles. And The Secret World in that there are no "levels" but there are tiers of advancement. I found a pretty good read on Ten Ton Hammer.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/everquest-n ... medium=rss

But even with the things that have been said and listed in that article. I still hope their will be dungeon crawls and XP farming groups.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:12 pm
Profile YIM

I liked that write-up. Although.. with my luck.. with classes as being "collectibles", I know on day 1 i'll see someone get the class that I reaaaaaaallllllllyyyyy want to be. And then... I'll be that guy that gets all the other 39 classes and be maxed out.. and still not have the one class I wanted on day one :)

Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:51 pm

But yes, I would like something in there that has to do with levels. I mean, if there are no levels at all, it's possible to on day one to run out to the highest end dungeon and do a raid? Yes.. I want restricted zones and raids as well..

Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:52 pm

If it works like The Secret World then things basically come in tiers. So a new toon can't just run out to a high level area and kill things. Once you have earned skill points your "level" goes up. Making mobs easier to kill. But until they release info on how their system is going to work it will all be theorycrafting.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:10 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]