This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Another game that looks good!! 

Post Another game that looks good!!
I hadn't heard about this game until some people in STO were talking about it. But after checking it out and doing some reading up on it it looks interesting enough to keep my eye on it. Only bad thing for this game could be that it's planning to come out sometime next year and it will have to compete with The Old Republic.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/index.php

Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:25 pm
Profile YIM

Post Re: Another game that looks good!!
The more I look into this game I think it can give Star Wars a run for it's money next year. It looks as though it's going to have a good PvE system along with what might turn out to be good PvP. Although there is still only small amounts of information out about PvP at this time. This video is from a Ten Ton Hammer interview and shows a small piece of how the invasion system will work in Rift. Pretty cool concept.

Also in Rift there are 2 player factions and 6 NPC factions from the planes of earth, fire, water, wind, life, and death (think I got those all right). So no matter which player side you play you always have to be ready for an attack. There is also a first part to this video that show more on the classes. The class system for this game is looking really cool. You get to chose how you want to play your character. Check out the first video to see what I am talking about. I'm really liking the idea of having full control of how your character progresses.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/89185

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/89185/page/2

Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:14 am
Profile YIM

I got into the beta for this game and I have to say so far it is pretty good. They have taken some really good points from a lot of different MMO's and put them into one. It has a little EQ2 feel but that may be because one of the old leads from EQ2 is the new lead for Rift. It has a pretty good collections and achievements system in place for lots of different things. There are also 8 specs per class ( warrior, cleric, rogue, mage) once you have unlocked them all. At level 16 I have 3 souls unlocked so far. But so far so good.

The rift system is a lot like the public quest from WAR but a lot more polished. Also these events can take place anywhere in the game world at any time. And if they are not closed then they will continue to spread and even take over a zone. This will cause the invading plane to form a foothold and then they are much harder to get rid of. You also earn special currency for participating in these events. This can be used to buy items from special merchants.

They don't have a lot in place for PvP yet so I can't really comment on it. But they have said they are going to have battle grounds, open world PvP, and that some rifts will involve PvP.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:09 pm
Profile YIM
BbB Member

My question is can anything even compete these days against WoW, I know they just revamped alot of classic...WTG DAoC should have done that years ago to save pop. Sure old school games like EQs still mantain a steady population, but I dont think SWtOR will even stand up. I just hope they learned a lot from DAoC, and...WH...

Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:52 pm

Something that some people in the beta and I were talking about is nothing is going to "kill" WoW. The only thing that is going to make WoW stumble is WoW itself. But this game has a lot of potential. They have taken a lot of things from other games and rolled them into one. The rifts themselves are kind of like the PQs from WAR but with much better polish on them. For instance the longer you are there to participate in a rift the better your rewards will be. There is no way that someone can walk up at the end of the event and take first place. Also if these rifts are left unchecked they will turn into invasions. Invasions spawn far more mobs and they can even take over nearby towns. And the only way to get rid of them is to kill all of the invading forces and them go stop the rift.

They also have a collection system similar to the one in EQ2. You will see shining objects on the ground that can be picked up and added to your collections book. Not something that has to be done but nice little side stuff to do.

I say it will take a small portion of the WoW population. It is going to be a much more challenging game than WoW. They are not going to allow any of the crutch mods that the WoW player base has become accustomed to using. In comparisons to WoW I had more fun in the first instance in Rift than I did in the first few in WoW. And then the biggest upside to me is the vast number of play styles that can be used. Each calling has 8 souls ( specs ) so there are like thousands of different spec options for each class. They have also broken the mold in that only a warrior type can be a tank. There is a tank in the cleric tree and there is a tank in the rogue tree. And they are viable options for 5 man content. I actually tanked the first 5 man instance with the rogue tank soul ( Riftstalker ). The game has a lot of potential. The next beta event is Dec 17 - 20. I have a VIP pass so I get access to all of the beta events. I may have an extra key coming my way. So if anyone is interested and will actually play a decent amount during that weekend let me know.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:29 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

I'm interested in the game based on what I'm hearing from you; but I won't be available to play during those days.

I'd also likely prefer to wait on retail release; I don't want to play a beta honestly.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:59 pm
Profile WWW

Nalthien wrote:
I'm interested in the game based on what I'm hearing from you; but I won't be available to play during those days.

I'd also likely prefer to wait on retail release; I don't want to play a beta honestly.

I say check it out at some point Nalty. Trion is not going to do a standard beta for Rift. They have been in a selective beta for several months now. And these beta events are they way those not invited to play in that beta get to play. From what they have said they are going to do these events to stress test their servers and test out specific content up until release. I even think I read that they do not plan to do an open beta because they have so many people signed up for testing already.

The game client we played on over the weekend was VERY good. I don't think I have ever played a "beta" that ran that smooth. In fact it ran better than some games I have played at release. The only small issue if you will that I had was the queue they put up when the servers were first put online. And that was just to slow down the bum rush. The entire weekend I ran into zero lag and no major bugs to speak of. The game did seem to have a very minor memory leak but I only crashed out twice the entire time playing. But there crash system is pretty good. You get a message saying you crashed and that a report is being submitted. You press OK and it logs you right back into the game with the toon you were playing.

All in all it's a solid game. I'm looking forward to the next beta event.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:56 am
Profile YIM
Kaarn

so the real question i have for you fuiri is how is the PVP???

Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:47 pm

The PvP isn't bad. Unless you are on a PvP server then most of your PvP will be done in the Warfronts (BGs). And there are a lot of builds that are good for PvP. But you really can't sit around and say this class pwns in PvP. Because each class has like thousands of different spec options. I have been running a 2-handed DPS warrior spec. And I have to say that I can mess some people up. It's also the highest DPS class I have seen or played. I joined a guild for the beta events and run with a fairly regular group for instances. There is a rogue ( Marksman/Ranger spec ) that I compete with for tops of the DPS chart. He has never beaten me for overall DPS but there are some boss fights he beats me on due to ranged roles having an advantage.

The game is worth trying. I may have a couple extra codes for the remainder of the events. I will post back if I get them for 2 people to use.

Also you can check out all the various class builds with the role builder found here. http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:45 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

The most non-cookie cutter classes I have ever seen.

It's actually quite overwhelming when you are starting out.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:35 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Forum Admin

PS. I'm back on the forums.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:31 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Forum Moderator

Varadin wrote:
PS. I'm back on the forums.

I'll rejoice after a couple weeks...

Just Sayin'...

Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:12 pm
Profile YIM

The classes are overwhelming through all 50 levels. And there is a PvP soul that isn't even shown on that role builder. Someone on the Rift forums did the math. And I think they said there are over a thousand different ways you could spec each archetype not including the PvP souls.

The PvP souls work in that you get points to spend in them like you do any other soul. But you can only invest points in skills where you meet the PvP rank requirements. The PvP souls are really focused on CC or CC breaking skills. They offer some defense and some damage boosting passive skills as well.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:58 am
Profile YIM
Forum Moderator

No crafting???

Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:01 am
Profile YIM

Of course it has crafting. It's WoWish as far as crafting goes. You make item X to skill up enough to make item Y. Then you make item Y to skill up enough to make item Z. The only small difference is you can get items from Rifts or other sources that can be added to an item during the crafting process that can add stats.

Another thing I find cool about the game is that instances evolve. You can do an instance at level 25 called Deepstrike Mines. In it's current form there are 4 bosses. But when you get to the final boss you can see what looks like a door behind him. When you go back at level 50 to do this dungeon they have finished working in the mines and this door is now open. And now the rest of the dungeon is open to you and there are 3-4 more bosses that can be killed.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:09 am
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

Fuiri wrote:
When you go back at level 50 to do this dungeon they have finished working in the mines and this door is now open. And now the rest of the dungeon is open to you and there are 3-4 more bosses that can be killed.

I assume the mobs in the first section scale up in level similar to a "heroic" mode?

Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:34 am
Profile WWW

Yea, everything scales up in levels. And the bosses you fought before get some new tricks. There is actually an "elite" version of all the dungeons that can be done. From what they have said you have to gear up from these elite dungeons in order to complete the first tier of raids.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:11 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Moderator

Well, at least there IS crafting.. I couldn't find any info on it on their website..

I need something to do when it's 2 am, I'm too tired to solo effectively and no one is on... :biggrin:

Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:07 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

Narco wrote:
Well, at least there IS crafting.. I couldn't find any info on it on their website..

I need something to do when it's 2 am, I'm too tired to solo effectively and no one is on... :biggrin:

That's only 11pm my time; I'll be on. :)

Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Nalthien wrote:
Narco wrote:

WTF are you talking about? Did you move to California because as far as I know RI and MA are still in the same
time zone.. Or do you know something I don't?

Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:11 pm
Profile YIM

You didn't know he moved to take up surfing?????

Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:19 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

Narco wrote:
Nalthien wrote:
Narco wrote:

WTF are you talking about? Did you move to California because as far as I know RI and MA are still in the same
time zone.. Or do you know something I don't?

Livin in CA now. :)

Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:46 am
Profile WWW
BbB Member

Borkil wrote:
so the real question i have for you fuiri is how is the PVP???

WELL BORK.
The pvp so far as I heard is like Warhammerish. Not like WoW. Which is F@cking sweet. Because right now I'm playing that pos WoW for some pvp...and I think Im coming down with carpel tunnel.

I'm interested in the specifications, seems cool.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:41 am
BbB Member

Hopefully...we can convince them to add in open pvp zones something like Daoc's frontiers. BGs are fun, but they will get boring...pvp servers are good for pvp, but imo sucks if you want to level, will always be that one asshole who kills PvErs.
Cant beat being solo and standing on the WCB or trying to steal the brick from Midgard.

And you tanks know what you have to do in pvp, CC breaking and healer killing.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:48 am

They have said that there are going to be some open PvP zones on all servers. And from the sounds of it they are going to be high level zones with high level elite Rifts. So you will be able to get your kill on and get to do some Rift stomping. Will be interesting though as I would hate to be about done closing a Rift to have the other side storm in and take it.

But on the other hand it might be cool to just set up a group / raid to just roam around and kill people and not even worry about the Rifts themselves. Also here is a link to some PvP from a warriors point of view. It contains some open world PvP on a PvP server and some Warfronts. The warrior in the video is primary Champion which is the 2-handed warrior build. Secondary soul is Paragon which it looks like he may of taken for the strength buff. And his third soul is Riftblade which is only take for the blade buff which adds a lightning proc to your melee attacks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIrgjtcNdL0

Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:28 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

That aoe he's throwing around hits pretty damn hard.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:13 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

One thing to note about the big numbers you see. He is using a racial ability that increases crit by 100% for 20 seconds. So all the 700-1k numbers you see are when he has used this skill. My Riftblade build has an AoE attack that hits for just as much and I don't even have the same racial skill he does. My AoE also hits 7 targets where the Champion one he is using hits 4. The Riftblade AoE is also elemental damage. But don't get me wrong. Champions can do very good damage.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:32 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Moderator

My dick is so big it's AoE hits 8 targets...

Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:48 pm
Profile YIM
BbB Member

I was thinking champ/void/para

and dont mess with me and champs....anything called champ is mine :P

Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:13 pm

Something else they have announced with Rift is discounted monthly prices when you buy package deals. Like if you pay for a 6 month subscription the price drops down to $10 a month. But the good thing is that as long as you have an active subscription it will remain at that price. This offer last until March 15th. They will also be offering game time cards and accepting pay pal payments from the start.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:46 am
Profile YIM
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next