Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
GW2 
BbB War

Post GW2
Ok, after much anticipation, I really think that GW2 is going to come closest to DaoC RVR....

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/105 ... d.-READ-ME

Hotdawg 50 FOTM Light Ment
Fivehunnert PoundGorilla 50 Chanter
Muiridaath 50 Vampiir ML1 Banelord
Barde 47 Bard Chelly 43 Druid

Nazghoul 50 Vamp, Gareth
http://camelotmonkey.com/s.php?u=darkar

Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:48 pm
Forum Moderator

Post Re: GW2
Nice Page there.

GW2 actually looks promising.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:58 am
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

I'm considering giving it a look...

...assuming it ever gets a release date.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:59 am
Profile WWW

The game does look to have some promise. But from a PvP stand point I actually think it's going to be rather bland. It's a fake 3 faction system. You are going to be in an instanced world that has player limits. The PvE sounds as though it may be pretty good. But it's PvP is going to come nowhere near the PvP level of DAoC. Not even close. I'm looking at it but I am not sure I will pick it up or not.

The one good thing about the PvP system is that everyone is put up to the same level. So all the players in PvP will be max level, have all their skills, and have all the same quality gear. So fights should come down to tactics and player skill. You can also start doing these PvP maps as soon as you finish the tutorial. You do gain XP, coin, and gear through PvP so it should be possible to level up through nothing but PvP.

As of right now. The game that is quickly moving to the top of my must check out list is Dominus. A true 3 faction PvP system which is the first since DAoC. Open world PvP that is going to mean something. As your side controls more of the open PvP world you gain access to the Mines of Dominus. Similar to gaining access to Darkness Falls. Crafters are being made viable again. Much like DAoC back in the day they are going to make the best gear at end game. And while there are not full details out there on crafting yet it appears that you will be able to customize your gear with a few different options like adding more stats, reactive procs, and more. The gear also degrades over time so crafters will always be busy making new items for people and gathers will be busy supplying those crafters with materials. They have also said that they will have a "Realm Point" system. Although it will not make it into the launch. But hope to have it in place as soon as possible after launch. It also looks like you will be able to fully destroy the bases of the opposing factions. Not just run in and kill a Keep Lord. This is just a guess at the moment because they have not released many details about these PvP systems. They have said however that there will be few guards protecting your factions keeps. They want players to defend their bases not NPC guards.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:38 am
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

I have a couple of concerns with Dominus:

First, it's sci-fi genre--and I've yet to play a sci-fi mmo that could really hold my attention for a long time. Second, I'm not sure what you mean that they have a realm point system that won't be in for launch. So there's no advancement tied to pvp?

Fully destroying the bases of opposing factions sounds a lot like what WAR was going for with the city sieges--they never worked well.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:42 am
Profile WWW

There have only been 2 Sci-Fi MMO's that I have really liked. Star Wars Galaxies and Anarchy Online. I played both for a long time in their primes. I know there have been many people on the Dominus boards that bring up the fact that the game is Sci-Fi and might not attract many players for that reason. But at the same time many are willing to over look this if the game has good 3 faction PvP.

They are working on the Realm Point system but they don't think it will be ready for the launch. Even DAoC didn't have it's RP system implemented at launch. It was added in. Even if the RP system doesn't make it in for launch there will be a reason to PvP. As I stated before the best gear in the game is going to be player made. The highest concentration of high grade materials are going to be harvested in the PvP areas and in the Mines of Dominus. So while you can find some of these material in the PvE areas there will be far more of them in the PvP areas. But that also comes at a price. As enemies can loot resources off of your corpse if they kill you. They can also be looted by group members if you die and they survive the fight. Or I think they can loot them quickly and try to run. Lastly there is the issue of fighting for realm pride. To me this will be enough until they get the RP system put in. I will be content with just going out and wiping the battlefield with our enemies.

As for the bases comment it looks as though they have updated their bases section on the Dominus page. It now states that you have to destroy all of an enemies structures before you can start to deploy your own and claim the territory for your faction.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:39 am
Profile YIM
BbB War

I was one of the minority that played before the realm point system and frankly I thought it took away from Daoc more than it helped. Yes, it helps give a true end game progression system but it also makes it about the individual instead of the realm at large. I miss the community we had back then on Tristan when people from all three realms cared more about winning as teams than joining up in 8 man squads to chase arrrrrr peeees.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:42 am
Forum Admin

I played back then too, bulwyf--and I shared a lot of your sentiment.

I'm all for small advancements at the level cap based on pvp participation--but it shouldn't be anything balance breaking. Players should be able to get a slight advantage by advancing beyond the level cap by participation (after all, everyone wants to make their toons better and, for better or worse, there's always some treadmill element to an MMO). That said, I don't want to a system like WAR where a RR60 player was ALWAYS far superior to a RR40 player. It made it about as un-fun as imaginable to run into groups of RR65+ characters when you were a fresh 40.

Granted, WAR was the incredible extreme case where they treated everyone at "level" 40 the same despite almost all game advancement being tied to RR and there could be as much as a 40 level swing in a single tier. Still, it's the ultimate case of what NOT to do with level-capped advancement.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:34 pm
Profile WWW

For me, GW looks more like FPS with some
RPG slapped onto it, than a real MMO

Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:40 am
BbB Member

The "RvR" region as such isn't instanced, its one zone for the cluster of 3 servers where each server fights.

You won't see the opponent name (like in DAOC) there will be siege/keeps etc.

The zone WILL be limited to # of ppl in it at once, I heard it was 300 per side atm? not quite sure, it'll have a queue to get in if it hits its max... although 300 per side is a ton of ppl.

Will be running around in it this weekend to check it out.

Yes there's crafting too.

They aren't quite sure how to have a progression beyond level 80 in PvP yet (the levelling curve isn't exponential btw) They're probably throwing around ideas, looks like ranks might make it, including being able to see the ranks in RvR

RvR Preview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuukNJFx ... ture=g-u-u

Hints and tips if you're in the beta
http://www.guildwars2junkies.com/2012/0 ... aste-time/

Oh and being able to trash everything of the opponents has never worked out well, except EVE :P (then again its Sci-Fi, so trashing everything + sci-fi works... I guess :D )

Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:17 am
Profile ICQ WWW

so about this game.. it's coming out in june eh? with no sub fee? who's giving it a whirl? I dont see me playing ALOT being summer time and all.. but hell.. with no sub fee, who cares.. its not wasting money each month.

Fri May 25, 2012 7:09 pm
Hib Visitor

is it still click-to-move?

Wed May 30, 2012 12:44 pm
BbB Member

Still? Click to move? Was it ever?

In GW1 it was an option if you wanted it, don't think it would ever be in GW2, wouldn't make sense with the combat as it is.

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:04 am
Profile ICQ WWW
BbB Member

(Hope you guys remember me)

I played the first open beta, and realy loved it.
Cant wait till friday to play again.
I am just looking for a guild to join with a bunch of nice people.

Hey balrog, on what server did you slackers join, maybe i can join in next beta?
BTW a good hint: always go for the guardian first in this game (not the paladin) ;P

Aresgetmesome lvl42 Enchanter
Aresshield lvl24 Hero

Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:02 am
BbB Member

Beta Keys up for grabs on Curse today.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:34 am
BbB Member

No more left now :( I tried to get one

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:52 am
Profile YIM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTfZM9yzexQ&feature=plcp. Video I made .... its really daoc v2 ... Most fun I've had wvw (rvr) I think bbb should join in .. probably be easy to get you in titanalliance.net with my current guild really think about the good ol days when we siege a tower and what not release is 28th of august (25th) for pre order
Edit (this is first video I've ever edited plus its on a free trial software)

Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:27 am

nice video Herc... admit I didnt totally watch it all.. it's a long one. Loved all the different music too.. ninja rap to start.. been a while!

Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:36 am

i dont expect a whole lot of people to watch it all... haha. it was 4hr 42min of footage i cut down to 1:19 running at 150% speed... lol... and the music I went all over the place on purpose hahaha (skip to the credits watch the end...ahaha)

Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:41 pm
Hib Visitor

well that zerg looks...zergish

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:21 am

zerg? we had 13 people on... and 15 max at anyone time in game at all... they out numbered us almost every single fight

Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:55 pm

Looking at the GW2 website and seeing the other videos... it still looks like its gonna be worth the $50 to buy.. and..no sub fee! haha.. ya.. i'll be playing it im sure.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:45 pm
Forum Admin

Thanks for sharing.

I have to ask thought what Class / Race are you playing?

Are you a Bunny with a Bow?

The last 5min has the best closeup I saw but still I cannot tell.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:10 pm

Im an Asura...thief (dont recommend if you want to be useful) haha..but they are fun to play but dmg is meh and sustainability is also meh...but its super hard to lock one down to actually kill

but I for sure recommend this game to the DAoC vets that miss DAoC...

instead of realms..its Servers ...so it all same classes/races no big deal ..but its 3 severs vs one another .... and there is 4 zones for WvW (RvR) 3 borderlands that are mirrored and Eternal Battlegrounds which is the center that has the HUGE keep to take defend.. in our alliance our job was to hold Fort Aspenwood borderlands (which is just a name of the server we were against)

the video quality was low cause i recorded it without pumping up the setting, any videos i do now will be a lot higher quality..but now i must wait till release to do so

Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:58 pm

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2 . Here is silo gives you some pretty good info if you want to know class race what not.... Thing I can say warriors can be ranged dps and rangers can be melee dps .. mages can use double daggers or a stafff depending on your playstyle you can find it in almost any class

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:17 am

So how many BBB'ers are going to give this a shot? Aug 28th wont take long to get here.. or.. 25th I guess if you preorder.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:13 pm

If BBB isn't going to go onto GW2 but there is people that want to play it ... Pm me.. that is if you guys decide to not go with it

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:26 am
Forum Admin

Sorry to say, but as I have found out with most newer Games, it is better for me to wait a few months after release before I start playing. I did that with DAoC, maybe the best Game I ever played, and had a lot of luck. My only regret with DAoC was when we stopped playing for WAR. Those last few moths right before WAR came out was a great return of BbB. I miss you all!

As you can read on these Boards, Games get a lot of per-release excitement, like Star Wars, only to die shortly after.

Speaking of that, can we get the Star Wars Banner removed and a DAoC one or just a generic BbB one put in its place?

Narco, you are the Man.. can you hook us up?

There are still postings for DAoC on these broads years later but nothing on those other so called hot new Games. I would be in DAoC now but my Gaming Group / Gaming Time is taken up playing Dungeons and Dragons on-line, that we are paying to play as V.I.P.s, Champions on-line and Diablo 3. Another reason to wait some before starting something new. My bet is Diablo will end soon freeing up a Game day.

Please do not take this as anything against your excitement on this Game. I value your opinions but want to wait some after you have played said Game and have a chance to let us know how the play and end game is. I DO HOPE that you will let us know later how you like it!

We can bet Fuiri will be max level a month after release and Nalthien will have a detailed writeup on the Pros and Cons. :twisted:

Thanks again for sharing with us and keeping your eyes out for that next big BbB Game.

Vyr

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:37 pm
Forum Admin

I've gotten several PMs about it. I'm kind of with Vyrzain on this one; I'll be waiting a while to play GW2 most likely. Unlike Vyr who waited, I joined up in a bunch of games and felt like I sort of got burned.

Actually, in at least one case, it wasn't so much that I got burned by the game itself; rather, I started playing with great hope for BbB playing together only to have no more than 2-3 people online at a time after the first few weeks. Aside from a 2-3 month break, I've basically played Rift since launch (though not in any hard core sense; I do play quite often). The class system in that game always keeps me coming back.

I liked Aion a lot; but the combat got [b]extremely[b] repetitive and the chain of skills meant that you couldn't get creative with things. PvP combat could be screwed if you got out of range as a melee character and missed one of your chain timers. In PvE, it just became "Hit this sequence of buttons over and over."

Star Wars was a great single player game dressed up as an MMO. I really enjoyed the game a lot--had a great time with the story, the companions, the space combat. But when I hit max level, that was it. I was done.

It's especially tough for me to play with BbB these days as I now live in the West Coast and I have a child who keeps me occupied until at least 8pm local time--meaning that even when there were a lot of people playing SWTOR I never saw them.

I know some of the old WoW crew (Krultai, Oriana, Keka, etc) are going to be playing GW2 and I told Krul to make a post here about what server / faction they would be playing. For me, honestly, if I'm going to play again with BbB, it's going to be in a situation where we get 20+ folks online consistently over a longer period of time. Aside from that, and this is no offense to anyone, my schedule simply demands that if I want people to play with, I have to find a more late night / west coast timed group.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:02 pm
Profile WWW
BbB Officer

I'm in that same boat. I won't be starting any new games at release. I'll wait and see how it pans out and if it has any "lasting power."

Still playing SWToR, but I was able to join up with the Nordic Rage folks in their guild(Aggressive-Negotiations.) I think a solid group of people you get along with and can adventure, pvp, and quest with makes or breaks a game more than the game itself does.

Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next