Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Audio Question 
BbB Member

Post Audio Question
So I happen to have some Altec Lansing 416a subs in a custom altec lansing box with a crossover and horn both altec lansing didn't bother to get their models. I have 2 of these cabinets. I was wondering what would be a good amp for them? They where my grandpa's I know they work cause i've used them on various occasions but they just don't sound as good as i think they can they sound ok but anytime i turn it up the unit powering them can't keep up its just an LG all in one surround sound sytem. I just have the sub wired directly to the sub channel for base which claims 200watts but from what a friend was telling me modern equipment doesn't give the real wattage it puts out just its peak at least on low end stuff. I was thinking of maybe getting a vintage tube amplifier to complement them with better sound since these are studio grade speakers. I can rebuild the equipment if need be too(I can solder and what not) but lack knowledge on what was good from the 70's :P From what I have looked at for the 416a specs it needs a true 30 watt power source just for the sub. So I need a 2 channel 35-40 watt I think for the cross-over to have some power for the horn or just steal power from the sub either way. Also both channels need to go as low as 20hz. Cause its a two-way system so is a full range cabinet with the crossover for the horn. the kenwood I had barely went below like 70hz I think. :(

Here is a page for the spec's of pre 2002 altec lansing equipment I don't have to have a lansing amp though so curious what you guys think. The way i use them I can only get base. Cause The L and R channels on the surround sound don't play low enough to turn the sub on or have near enough power but get the horns going atleast. :P I have some kenwood receiver in the garage that my grandma had bought but it was junk(ebay) the electronics on the board are worn out. Can't complain for $30 though :P
http://www.altecpro.com/products/vintage/index.htm

here is a direct link to the PDF
http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage/Sp ... eakers.pdf

Also if you want the crossover and horn models I can get those. If that will help.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:36 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]