BbB Member

Post MMORPG.COM: The return of 3 faction PVP
Featured Article
http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/f ... n-PvP.html

Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:30 am
Profile ICQ
Forum Admin

Post Re: MMORPG.COM: The return of 3 faction PVP
Thanks for sharing; it's often cited that the real "greatness" of DAoC PvP was not the core combat mechanics (which were obviously fairly primitive) but the 3 faction system. I'm interested in any game that says it's planning to go back to 3 factions.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
BbB Officer

Nice link, Worzel. They didn't even mention Prime in their list. I saw a Q&A on Youtube with the designers of Prime and they introduced themselves as DAoC players that miss it. With DAoC at heart, hopefully they make a decent 3-realm pvp game. The short clips of game-play didn't look too polished, but it's still really early for that game.

GW2 looks promising, but they want to do a server-vs-server-vs-server thing. I just don't see that being the same or building a good community. We'll see. Cross your fingers!

Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:06 pm

I kind of agree with BB here. I don't see GW2's 3 sided battles (SvSvS) being the same thing. Because as I understand that system it's going to be arena based.

As for Prime I am keeping my eye on that big time. From what I have read and some of the game play stuff I have seen it looks very interesting. Characters are going to be extremely customizable and everyone can used range/melee weapons. Here are a few things I pulled from their website ( http://www.primeonlie.com ) that I found interesting.

No Auto Attack
The player must choose their abilities and activate them during combat. This adds to the skill and strategy of the players themselves. In addition, combat has been designed to be quick and fluid without an auto attack. In fact, the great majority of abilities are "instant", not requiring prep time.

Crowd Control
Crowd control used wisely adds a very strategic element to combat. Crowd control takes the form of stuns, slows, and "mez-es". Each player gets the basic ability to break each of these, and as with all abilities, skill points can be spent to make the ability more powerful.

Death Penalty
Upon death, a player must be re-cloned in order to enter the game. The player loses time and has to respawn in the nearest cloning facility to where they died. (Other possible penalties, and whether or not there will be any, are still under discussion.)

Of greater consequence is the fact that any harvested resources the player was carrying will remain on that player's corpse, and be lootable by the opposing factions.

It is possible for the specialized healing classes to resurrect the fallen, with no rez-sickness.

Grouping
The standard party size is 6 members. 8 parties can band together to form a single raid group of 48 players. There are a few "instanced" PVE areas that require a small group of 6 players, but most of Prime's encounters are open world and therefore it's up to the players themselves to decide how many players should comprise the group.

The 2 bold sections are of interest because being able to loot resources are going to make gathering in PvP areas solo very hard. I kind of like this. It should make people want to group up a little more so they don't get ganked for their resources. And I think a 6 man group sounds good. I have always hated the 5 man group layout. It always felt to limited cause 2 slots were auto filled by the tank & healers. With 6 or more you can customize a groups setup a little more. You can decide to bring extra healing, DPS, crowd control, or whatever suits your needs or desires. Another good thing about Prime is so far there seems they don't plan to have any instanced raiding. There will be some grouped 6-man instance stuff but they said in an interview that most of the bosses are going to be world bosses.

So far the game looks and sounds good. But I don't think we will see it out until around 2013 probably.

OH, and they have a guild page on their site like TOR does. We can setup BBB there so we can get our name out there & show some interest in the game. I will go ahead and throw BBB into their guild listing. If for nothing more than holding the name.

http://guilds.primeonline.com/

Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:51 am
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

My main concern with world bosses comes if the best shit comes from them. If that's the case, i hate the idea. I don't want to go back to the EQ days of "is this boss up? No? What about this one...maybe?"

Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:49 am
Profile WWW
BbB Officer

I agree. The "best shit" better come from pvp/rvr. Or perhaps a dungeon zone that you have to win via pvp/rvr like Darkness Falls was.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:59 am

I saw something where they were talking about items. And I think they said the best items would be crafted. If that's the case it would make it a lot like old school DAoC where spellcrafted suits were the best things to get.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:33 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

Fuiri wrote:
I saw something where they were talking about items. And I think they said the best items would be crafted. If that's the case it would make it a lot like old school DAoC where spellcrafted suits were the best things to get.

As much as I complained about SC at the time, looking at it now, I'd like it to be optional honestly.

I'd like to have 3 options for getting great gear:

1. Crafting
2. PvP
3. Raiding.

I think it's really unfortunate that WoW set up a progression a while ago that crafted gear would not be as good as gear from the other two sources. It also sucks that they created the notion of 2 separate sets of gear.

I'd love to be able to mix and match--craft a good bit of my stuff. Do PvP for some extra pieces, and find the raiding stuff to be totally useful as well. One shouldn't be "better" than the others (even situationally)

Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:24 pm
Profile WWW

Oh, I agree. I would love to see all 3 options be viable for gearing your character up. But PvE people always complain that getting gear through PvP is easier than running raids. How do you equate time invested in PvP to equal time invested in PvE? But hopefully they can do something to make it balanced for all types of gear regardless of how you get it.

Here is something I found from a recent FAQ for Prime.

Q: How does gear affect combat?

A: Player crafted gear is the good stuff. Someone wearing crafted gear will be better off than the stuff you buy from NPC vendors.

Before you ask: There are no armor drops off open world monsters. There are some NPCs that, when killed, will drop armor roughly equivalent to vendor gear. We are still discussing dungeon rewards and I make no promises as to what that stuff will be like. But we are quite certain that the stuff crafted by players, from the elements that other players died to obtain, will be the best the game has to offer.

And yes, those wearing it will have their stats improved, which will allow them to do more/take more damage. It will definitely widen that 75 point range I mentioned earlier.

Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:14 am
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

Fuiri wrote:
Before you ask: There are no armor drops off open world monsters. There are some NPCs that, when killed, will drop armor roughly equivalent to vendor gear. We are still discussing dungeon rewards and I make no promises as to what that stuff will be like. But we are quite certain that the stuff crafted by players, from the elements that other players died to obtain, will be the best the game has to offer.

I don't want to read too much into it; but that bolded section sounds like, "yeah, you still GET the gear through doing PvE--it's just that world and dungeon bosses drop mats for gear instead of the gear itself.

Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:13 am
Profile WWW

Actually I think that might be talking about something I posted before. And that is you can loot resources from other players that you kill in PvP. I also found a section talking about that in the FAQ. If you have resources in your inventory & get killed. Anyone in your current group can loot them off your corpse for you. Or if there is no one around to do that then anyone from the other 2 sides can loot them.

Going to be interesting to see what they decide to do with dungeon loot. If they will actually drop gear, patterns for crafted gear, or resources.

Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:25 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]