Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Shield FAQ 
Champion Of Love

Post Shield FAQ
Q:
What is Guard and how do I use it?
A:
Guard is an shield ability used to block hits on another person other than yourself. You simply click on a user and then click the guard button that you have hotkeyed. You will then attempt to block attacks on that person, if you are near the guarded person.

Q:
How is the % to block figured out?
A:
Every one that can use a shield starts with a base 5%. You gain an a additional 0.5% block for ever point you have in shields. For example if you have 50 Shield you have : 5% + 25% = 30% chance to block every hit.

Q:
Do bonus points in shield add to my blocking?
A:
Yes, for exampling if you have Shield: 50+16, the +16 adds an aditional 8% chance to block. Blocking is then: 5% +25% +8% = 38%.

Q:
If blocking is figured by spec points, does shield bonus and level matter?
A:
Yes, they do matter. With out mythics exact forumal we can not be 100% sure how they have it calculated. A shield with 35% bonus will block more than a shield with 0% bonus of the same type of shield. A level 51 shield will block more than a level 50 shield. A 100% shield will block more than a 99% shield. Taking all this into consideration a level 50 100% shield with 0% bonus will probally give you your actually blocking precentage. Anything above this seems to add to your blocking and anything below this seems to take away. Note the effects are not major, but they are noticable.

Q:
Who can use what shields?
A:
Rangers, Nightshades, Druids Can use up to small shields
Wardens, Blademasters, Champions Can use up to medium shields
Heros can use up to Large shields

Q:
Who can spec in shields?
A:
Blademasters, Champions, Heros are the only Hib classes that can spec in shields.

Q:
Mastery of Blocking, How does that work?
A:
Mastery of Blocking is an RA that adds 3% chance to block to your total for each level. For example if you have mastery of blocking 2 and shield is at 50+10 then your total blocking would then be: 5% + 25% + 5% + 6% = 41%.

Q:
Can a tank that has guard use guard without having a shield out?
A:
No, guard only works if you have your shield out, you will not parry blows in replace of blocking them for other players.

Q:
What is the % to block for another player with guard?
A:
It is the same precent chance you have to block for your self.

Q:
If two shield tanks are guarding each other how are the blocks determined?
A:
Lets say for example you have two shield tanks both with a 40% chance to block. A monster swings at tank one, Tank one then makes a 40% chance to roll to see if he blocks. If he fails then tank two makes a 40% chance to block for him. Summary your sheild is checked then the guard is checked.

Q:
What is the order in witch defense is checked?
A:
Parry, Block, Guard, evade, Absorb(bt), Fumble, Intercept

Q:
How does the size of the shield affect these stats?
A:
Answer the size of the shield does not effect your blocking stats. You have the same blocking % no matter what size your shield is. Shield size effects the number of opponest you can block and the amount of damange and speed styles do and take.

Q:
How many people can I block with my shield?
A:
Small Shield = 1
Medium Shield = 2
All Large Shields = 3

Q:
What kind of delay will I expect when using shield styles?
A:
Small Shield - 2.8 Spd
Medium Shield - 4.3 Spd
Large(Heater)Shield - 3.8 Spd
Large(Tower)Shield - 4.5 Spd

Q:
Does this mean that there is no cap at +12 like all the other stats?
A:
You are caped at +11 from items. Your realm level bonus stacks on top of this if your RR6 then you can have +16. Also your RA's also stack with your spec and bonus.

If you would like to ask a question, please feel free to ask, and it will be added to the FAQ. If you have more Q/A to add to the FAQ. Please make a post in the above format and I will add it to the FAQ as well.

Last edited by Mandrick on Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:57 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:20 pm
BbB Member

1) What are the differences between the second tier of crafted shields and the standard round/kite/heater/tower shields?

2) What is the difference between the varying levels of guard? (Guard I vs Guard III)

Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:16 pm
Forum Moderator

Protect I The ability for a tank class to guard a weaker class,
reducing the enemy's aggro towards the weaker class, and transferring it onto the tank. This skill can be likened to a taunt.

Protect II Like Protect I, only you are better at it.

Protect III The most efficient protection a tank class can offer.

The higher tier shields do more damage on attacks, and supposedly block more than lower..

There is not much hardcore info on either question but thats about the sum of it..

Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:35 pm
Profile YIM
BbB Member

Umm, not protect, Narc, guard. 8) Protect wouldn't really belong in a shield FAQ.

It looks like there are actually different levels of guard, the second appears to be at about 10 or 11 spec, the third is somewhere around 24-25. There's probably no information on it at all, but I suspect that your full chance to block isn't passed along until you hit Guard III.

Actually, this would be an interesting thing to test out when I respec.

Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:49 pm
Champion Of Love

Updated the FAQ with old threads from Nacro and Galamore.

Tis a good question Tam, and your probally right. I have not seen any testing in that reguards or mention of it.

As for your question on shield sizes, towards the end of the FAQ it talks about the difference. No difference in blocking, the difference is in the delay times and in the number of targets you can block.

If we can get an answer to the guard level question I will deleted these and add it to the FAQ.

Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:00 pm
BbB Member

As soon as I get ahold of Syl in game (I've been working late the last while, so she's gone when I get home), I'll be respeccing and doing some testing.

I'm thinking that I'll grab a pair of yellow players. Grey daggers would probably be best, to get a fast swing time while eliminating damage. I'll try this at 7 shield, test until I get 20 or so blocks to get a good percentage, then slap protect on a third party and repeat. Bump shield up to 10-11 (wherever guard II appears), and we'll do it again. Bump shield until I get guard III, and we do it once more.

I might also do some dual-pulls on mobs to test out the group penalty difference between medium and small shields, but I'll probably need somebody to heal me to get meaningful results. Greys probably wouldn't mean anything, test-wise.

Does this sound like a valid test, Mand? The only thing that worries me is the grey weapons. We might have to go with real weps and get somebody to heal me in mid-duel.

Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:53 pm
Champion Of Love

The problem is that your gonna block for them more at the higher guard levels no matter what cause you have more spec points and your chance to block is higher. So not sure how much info your going to get out of it.

At guard I you only have a 8.5% chance to block for your team member. With just spec points, I causee if your guarding your target and they get attacked 100 times and you block less than 8 times then you know that the full ability to block did not transfer to your guard. Problem is the yellow con mob would have killed them by then :- )

Quote:
group penalty difference between medium and small shields

Not sure what you mean here, but the biggest difference between the two is that your medium will block up to two different targets the small only one target.

Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:27 pm
BbB Member

Yeah, that's one of the problems. That 7 spec series of tests will take FOREVER, and the 11 spec set won't be much better. Like you said, I'll have to test both my blocking rate and my guard rate against the same enemy to get any kind of meaningful comparison.

What I've heard about shield sizes from other sources is this:
You can block as many target simultaneously as you want to, but you suffer massive penalties. A small shield can block one target without penalty, a medium can block two, a large can block three before you start losing % to block. That makes more sense to me from a implementation standpoint than having it somehow magically select two or three targets that you're allowed to block.

I'll test this as well. If I can block two people with a medium shield without my blocking percentage changing, we'll know it's accurate.

Sat Mar 29, 2003 2:43 pm
Champion Of Love

Its not magicly it selects the first two things to attack you then they get put on your block list and any other mob will hit you and you will never block for it. ( Or one if you have a small shield)

In rvr its gets super complicated cause targets are switching back and forth and it not a perfect system cause the people it assigns up to block might be on something else and it takes time for it to update. I think "gasp" there was a grab bag that talk about this. But again mythic does not even know how it works so grab bags are correct about what 30% of the time?

:shock:

Sat Mar 29, 2003 8:27 pm
BbB Member

Mand: I guess you can wipe my posts in this thread. I got fed up putting off my respec until I could do a schwackload of shield tests, said "the hell with it", and respecced.

On a somewhat related note, Tam is suddenly a lot more fun. I've picked up 1.5 levels in as many days. I can't wait to hit 44 to get my shield spec to 42 and start working on valor again.

Sun Apr 13, 2003 4:50 pm
BbB Member

this seems like the right thread to ask this question....have they fixed the insane shield block rates yet? My godly champ cant win a freaking fight against anything that spec'd shield....I mean come on...melee vs a scout and i still get owned by just block till stun immune wears off then stun crit shot...repeat? Or against a rr4 warrior....and only can win if its not a /bow 1v1 or if my toys are up. But hell if i get threw what it seems like 75% block rate (50% i think it is) I do hit hard...but then I still got parry and then defensive of the char to go thru....

Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:32 pm
BbB Officer

75% block rate, 50% parry rate is still on live servers

Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:26 am
BbB Member

I say thats completely gay...i might just go freaking 44lw 42shield 39valor rest parry just for the fucking blockrate....even though i do get 50% parry now LOL!..........

but shit i cant kill a scout now cuz of the blockratte.....nor anything else with low offensive abilities. Cuz their defesive is on par with my insane damage potential

Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]