Forum Admin

Post Dark Age of Camelot Interviews: The 10 Year Interview
Dark Age of Camelot Interviews: The 10 Year Interview

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game ... rview.html

Some parts I liked....

Quote:
DAOC has long been heralded as having the best PvP in any MMO

Quote:
There are many reasons why the three realm system works, but I think the biggest is the self-balancing. When one realm gets too far ahead, it's only a matter of time before the other two realms knock them down a notch. This allows for an ever changing and engaging RvR gamespace and reduces the feeling of hopelessness that can occur with a 2 sided conflict. With only 2 sides, if one gets too far ahead, it is tough for the underdogs to make a comeback.

As to why we haven't seen three realm RvR more, I think that is because of the difficulty that is inherent with it. It is a lot of hard work to balance a game for two sides, let alone three. Even after 10 years, we are still tweaking things here and there.

Quote:
I've personally always preferred a PvP style endgame than a PvE one. I feel PvP is more dynamic and engaging. Knowing I am up against another player (one who is probably better than me) means that I need be on my toes, play my best, and learn from my mistakes. The best part is, with PvP, the learning never ends. Having the right group make-up changes with the enemies you are facing. Your enemies are also changing based on what you and your realm bring to the battle. Therefore the adjustments are ongoing and ever changing, and it's a blast watching the dance of RvR unfold.

Quote:
Mythic should never of made WAR,they should of made DAOC 2

Quote:
Make the UI new and shiny, add some features, and update the visuals. Hell put some money behind the questing to bring it up to speed too.

DAOC 2 could literally just be a remake and so many people would find out they love this sort of warfare. /shrug

I hope one day.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:58 pm
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Dark Age of Camelot Interviews: The 10 Year Interview
Quote:
As to why we haven't seen three realm RvR more, I think that is because of the difficulty that is inherent with it. It is a lot of hard work to balance a game for two sides, let alone three. Even after 10 years, we are still tweaking things here and there.

stupidest part...

You do not have to worry about balance if you just give each realm the same abilities/spells. Change the graphix if you must and name them differently but
give each of the three sides the same weapons and it saves time and effort in coding new abilities and tweaking different ones..

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:41 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

Narco wrote:
Quote:

stupidest part...

You do not have to worry about balance if you just give each realm the same abilities/spells. Change the graphix if you must and name them differently but
give each of the three sides the same weapons and it saves time and effort in coding new abilities and tweaking different ones..

It's the biggest failing of Mythic; and it was allowed to be SO bad in WAR that it was one of the major contributing factors to the game's quick demise. They simply can't get past the idea of "make all sides have the exact same abilities with different names and animations"

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:00 pm
Profile WWW

Narco wrote:
Quote:

stupidest part...

That would remove a big part of what was actually good in DAOC :D

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:47 pm
Forum Moderator

nikola wrote:
Narco wrote:
Quote:

stupidest part...

That would remove a big part of what was actually good in DAOC :D

Not in the slightest. Each realm Did have the same spells and abilities in Daoc but they were mix and matched over different classes.
For example. Bards had the long Mez in Hibernia while Sorcs had it in Alb.. Same spell just diff. class types. You can easily give the same
exact spell to three different realms but just name it differently and change the graphical effect. The problems that arose in Daoc and
in every other game is the combinations of spells and abilities allowed to single classes that are not allowed in other realms and/or when
the same spell or ability is putting out more or less damage or effect duration, etc. from another realm(s).

Different spells or abilities never work out in the long run. End Regen for example for Hib's.. Eventually all three realms got it because it's
just not fair to have such an advantage.

In the end the game that has perfect balance across three or more realms will be the game that lasts the longest (for pvp)because when
you win against an enemy you can truly be proud of your own skills and strategies.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:57 am
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

Narco wrote:
Different spells or abilities never work out in the long run. End Regen for example for Hib's.. Eventually all three realms got it because it's just not fair to have such an advantage.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ! ! ! ! !! ! ! :evil:

Damn Albs and Mids stole most of what made Hibs unique and gave little in return :frown:

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:50 pm

You lost BAOD because you cried about BOF too much!

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:35 am

Didn't you have 800+ members, what happened? :D

Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]