New EQ Progression Server! 
Forum Admin

Post New EQ Progression Server!
Any interest in this?

http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/news_ ... m?id=52135

Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:31 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: New EQ Progression Server!
Glad they are finally doing that. There has been a lot of demand for a time locked progression server for years. I would be interested but Rift launches March 1st with the head start beginning on February 24th.

If there is enough interest I may open one of my accounts to run with a group. Would have to work things out carefully though. Going back to the start means there are factions and things to worry about. Not many neutral areas to meet in. But all in all I would be up for a set group a couple times a week.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:17 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

Oh yeah; no bringing a Dark Elf to Freeport!

It'll be interesting to see how long they give each stage. I would hope they make it long enough to really enjoy.

No Iksar; and no one wants a human because they can't see at night. EC-Bay tunnel. I could see myself having some fun with this!

I wish DAoC would do a similar thing; I'd play 2001 DAoC in a heartbeat!

Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Never played EQ, what does this mean? Timelocked expansions?

Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:59 pm
Profile YIM

When they did their first progression server it was unlocked by progression. So you had guilds that leveled up and then ran thru the content as fast as they could to unlock it. Now with this one they are going to unlock each expansion after a certain amount of time. This way everyone gets to enjoy the content that is available at that time.

It basically means they are going to start with Everyquest as it was on day 1 of launch. Then after a certain amount of time they are going to unlock the first expansion pack Rise of Kunark and it's content. Then after the time is up again they will unlock the next expansion Velious and so on and so on.

I don't think you will get anything official like DAoC 2001 from Mythic/EA Nalty. But I guess you could say that this is what they have done with the Uthgard free shard for DAoC. It's Old Frontiers, old XP grinding to level and everything. I made a Nightshade there but have not played it to much.

If people wanted to play and don't have the game they can get it through Steam with all 16 expansions for $40. Or on Direct2drive right now it is on sale for $20 for everything. Here is the link to the D2D sale. http://www.direct2drive.com/9909/produc ... 2-Download

Once again I would be down for it if there was enough interest. We would need at least 5 to have a decent group for doing things. The group size is 6 and you would need a tank, healer, slower & mezzer. A good started group would be something like this.

Warrior/Paladin/Shadow Knight
Cleric
Shaman
Chanter
2 DPS

Some DPS / Support classes that could be useful would be Druids and Wizards. These classes have teleport spells that will make traveling much easier later in life. Bards are good DPS with lots of utility songs. But you would have to get used to twisting since if they actually go back to old EQ you won't have the song composer. Bards are also good at pulling for their groups. Monks are also nice DPS and are great at being a puller especially once they get feign death. The three selections in bold are by far the most important. Clerics are the main healing class for the first several expansions. And chanters can slow targets and mezz adds. Thus filling 2 roles that are needed.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:26 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

I'd honestly be inclined to go with a druid or necro for soloability--and get pugs for group time. Not sure how things went after Luclin; but before that, the only classes with any chance solo were druids and necros.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:48 pm
Profile WWW

Mages could also solo well due to their pets. I didn't have any problems in EQ soloing with a Shadow Knight or Wizard. Of course with an SK you will have to med between fights to regain HP. Wizards are much like Druids in that they can snare kite. In Velious they were both the kings of quad kiting. I used to love quad kiting snow cougars with my Druid. Paladins also do well since they wear plate and can heal themselves. But they also after to med after several fights or when they pull to many.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:03 pm
Profile YIM

Ya know what. If people are TRULY interested in this I can at least hook 2 people up with accounts. I have all the expansion but two. But on a progression server it will be some time before that content is open for play. Especially since the last 2 expansions just came out in the last year. We have just over a month to consider this but let me know if you are interested in using an account. All you will have to do is pay the monthly sub and you can use it all you want. And you don't have to worry about using a card to pay since you can get Sony game cards just about anywhere or you can go to Wal Mart and get an Ultimate Game Card and pay for the sub.

And if anyone wants to play before then to get a feel for the game or just play. I have 3 toons that are level 70 with mercs that make up a good group. The trio consist of a monk, shaman, and necro for player controlled characters. Then I have a tank, cleric, and rogue merc to fill out the group.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:21 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=25064

Looks like it starts on Feb 15. I don't know if I have 2 games in me; but I really, really can't resist this!

Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]