Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Netflix on Android (for Laun) 
Forum Admin

Post Netflix on Android (for Laun)
https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ediaclient

Be sure to check the supported list. Dont' blame us on that; blame google's "open" system that's turned android into a fragmented wasteland!

Thu May 12, 2011 2:48 pm
Profile WWW
BbB Member

Post Re: Netflix on Android (for Laun)
oh fuck me.. Its not supported by my tablet OR my phone...Give it a few days someone will get it working on them.

Fri May 13, 2011 7:10 am
Forum Moderator

whats so good about Netflix? I hear they have a shitty selection of movies and nothing new?
Do they have current and older tv shows?
new movies?
old movies?

Fri May 13, 2011 9:10 am
Profile YIM
BbB Officer

I had netflix, but only ever watched it on my PS3. If I'm going to watch a movie it's going to be on my bigass TV and not my 4 inch phone screen.

Fri May 13, 2011 10:24 am
Forum Admin

Narco wrote:
whats so good about Netflix? I hear they have a shitty selection of movies and nothing new?
Do they have current and older tv shows?
new movies?
old movies?

I'm going to try to respond to this without sounding like a corporate shill. What I say applies to our streaming business; our DVD business has selection unrivaled anywhere.

Netflix focuses primarily on "catalogue content"--that is, NOT the newest content in the world. There are many reasons for this; but one of them is simply that there's a LOT of quality content out there that's older, and by focusing on having a broader selection we can ensure that EVERYONE can find things they want to watch all the time. We have back seasons of lots of shows including Family Guy, SNL, Dexter, Cosby Show, Cheers, Star Trek, South Park, and literally hundreds more. We also have a lot of great, older movies. Truthfully, and without being biased from working there, I cannot possibly watch everything I want to watch that's available on Netflix.

Now think about our value proposition. We're an $8 / mo service that provides thousands of titles. We're cheaper than an HBO or Showtime subscription but offer a ton more in the way of content--and it's all on-demand content that you choose. Contrast that with an average of $5 / movie for a new release from services like Comcast, and other on-demand pay-per-view services. There's just no way we can buy new release content (at the same prices that Comcast needs to charge $5 / movie for) and include it in an $8 / mo subscription.

Ultimately, our goal is to provide enough content for everyone to justify spending $8 / mo. We do this by having a broad selection that appeals to everyone. No, we don't have the newest releases--but our prices reflect that: you're not *paying* for the newest releases.

Fri May 13, 2011 10:42 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Nice explanation. I hope I didn't sound like "Fuck Netflix" .. I really never tried it and know nothing except
what others have said about it.. I'm really trying to get away from monthly subs. Especially large cost ones
like cable (cable/phone/internet).

Currently I'm looking into FTA satellite to see if the stations I would normally watch would be able to be received..
There's a shitload of satellites and stations on each that I need to look through to see if I can get those sat.s and
stations from my current location. I would also like to add some Online sites that stream content to make up for
anything I lose by going FTA, thus I'm trying to see what Netflix, Hulu and the likes offer.

Fri May 13, 2011 11:02 am
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

Narco wrote:
Nice explanation. I hope I didn't sound like "Fuck Netflix" .. I really never tried it and know nothing except
what others have said about it.. I'm really trying to get away from monthly subs. Especially large cost ones
like cable (cable/phone/internet).

I know a lot of people who have given up cable and gone solely with Netflix.

Narco wrote:
Currently I'm looking into FTA satellite to see if the stations I would normally watch would be able to be received..
There's a shitload of satellites and stations on each that I need to look through to see if I can get those sat.s and
stations from my current location. I would also like to add some Online sites that stream content to make up for
anything I lose by going FTA, thus I'm trying to see what Netflix, Hulu and the likes offer.

It's almost certain that FTA satellite won't be worth it for you. If you live close enough to a city, you're better getting an HD optimized antenna and pairing it with a TV with built-in digital tuner. You'll get all your local channels--plus more locals you didn't know you could get. Pair that with Netflix and you'd likely have more than you need.

Truthfully, if ESPN offered an online-only subscription, I could dump cable tomorrow. Football season with no espn = missed college games.

Fri May 13, 2011 11:30 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

You do know that FTA is free right?

There are a few channels I want besides the locals (I was already planning on an HD antenna but TY for the Suggestion.

I'd like to get:

The Food Network (GF is like a chef)
History Channel
Discovery
Comedy Channel
Sci Fy
USA
FX
BBC

Plus the Locals.

I would also love to get like IFC or starz or anything else that I could get free but I can live without them.

Fri May 13, 2011 12:32 pm
Profile YIM
BbB Member

What we have considered doing, is Dropping the cable and getting a Hulu and/or Amazon account to go with our Netflix. With HULU you can watch most T.V. shows that same week as they air new. Then we would just grab an antenna for the locals in HD.

Fri May 13, 2011 2:00 pm
BbB Officer

You don't even need the antenna for local HD, by law any over the air broadcast can not be encrypted by the cable company, including the HD equivlents.

So you if you use cable for internet, you can drop the TV portion and still use the coax for locals as they can't filter line because of the net. You can also depending on the provider in the area get whatever they don't encrypt as well. I've gotten discovery channels and even been able to tap into on demand stuff people were watching before.

The benefit of using an antenna is that the OTA signal won't be compressed like it is coming over cable or SAT which you'll usually see in the form of pixelation(sp?) when images move fast.

Fri May 13, 2011 2:54 pm
Forum Admin

Narco wrote:
You do know that FTA is free right?

You still have to buy the equipment to receive it; that, I assure you, is not free.

Quote:
There are a few channels I want besides the locals (I was already planning on an HD antenna but TY for the Suggestion.

I don't think you'll find most of these over FTA.

Fri May 13, 2011 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

HD SATReceiver and Dish will cost me approx. what I pay cable for Two months... Might as well be free.

And there are quite a few FTA channels.
Every list I see shows diff stations, and alot of station names I have no idea of..
I've found alot of Fox, Biography, History channels...

An example list:
http://www.gofastmotorsports.com/channellist.html

Fri May 13, 2011 7:56 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]