Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
F2P MMOs 
Forum Admin

Post F2P MMOs
What in the holy hell is the hard-on these days people are having with "Free-to-play" MMOs? I really don't understand why people keep talking about things like, "I'll only play game X if it goes F2P"

My understanding of F2P is basically that you get nickel and dimed on everything. Want to upgrade your inventory? That'll be $2 / 10 slots. Want access to the newest dungeon? It's just $3. Check out this new armor that's just $1 / piece!

I'd honestly rather just pay $15 / month and know that I get everything the game has to offer.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:16 pm
Profile WWW
BbB Member

Post Re: F2P MMOs
Nalthien wrote:
What in the holy hell is the hard-on these days people are having with "Free-to-play" MMOs? I really don't understand why people keep talking about things like, "I'll only play game X if it goes F2P"

My understanding of F2P is basically that you get nickel and dimed on everything. Want to upgrade your inventory? That'll be $2 / 10 slots. Want access to the newest dungeon? It's just $3. Check out this new armor that's just $1 / piece!

I'd honestly rather just pay $15 / month and know that I get everything the game has to offer.

yep but some people don't look past the monthly fee part even though it will cost them more in the end to play the F2P game. Also with most F2P games I have seen its sup par customer service and the games generally blow. At least for my taste they blow. Guild wars didn't even get my attention and its a korean MMO and im a sucker for those. :P

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:30 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Moderator

I've played at least 5 diff F2P games in the past few months.. They all suck dick. The limitations are super ghey on
most of them and if not the game ain't worth a shit anyway.

I've played these plus more:
Age of Conan - not bad, not great
DDO - Good D&D game, poorly designed world and style
LOTRO - not horrible but dated
Forsaken World - Too much soy for my taste buds
Puzzle Pirates <- Best overall LOL
COH - ok but boring after awhile
Marvel Supersquad - or some shit - third person sorta animated claymation type toons.... ughhh
L2 - Yep its free now.. still a drag

Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:28 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

Try Champions online free to play :cheesy:

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:43 pm

I have my comp running again and doing Champs online now too til SW comes out.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:21 pm
Forum Admin

Vyrzain wrote:
Try Champions online free to play :cheesy:

Is my assessment of F2P correct, from what you've experienced, Vyr? I honestly have no interest in playing a game that's going to nickel and dime me to death.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:46 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Champs was ok.. but solo it gets a bit boring.
Its also kinda easy.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:07 pm
Profile YIM

It really depends on the game you play Nalty. The main stream games that went F2P don't try to nickle & dime you as much. But they do limit some things. Like you can only have a certain number of character slots, mail restrictions, some have inventory restrictions, and more. And of course you can upgrade these things for a price but it's not needed. DCUO went F2P at the beginning of November as well. And it's the same model they use. You can only have 2 character slots which isn't a real problem. And the smaller inventory isn't that big a deal either. Just means you need to remember to sell after every mission. Content is not restricted as long as you have bought the DLC. Which is the same for all games.

Now some of the true F2P games can try to nickle & dime you. But not really in the ways you listed. Most of the good/popular ones you can't buy weapons or armor that make your character uber. But they can help you make your characters better. In some of the games you can upgrade your gear. But these upgrades can fail. Which means you just wasted time & in game money on the attempt. But for real money you can guarantee that the process doesn't fail. The other things these companies make money off of are things like double XP scrolls, scrolls where things drop more money, HP/MP potions that are better than normal vendor/crafted potions. Then a lot of the companies make tons of money off their cosmetic items. You wouldn't believe how much people spend on these things. Buying outfits to make themselves look different than others or buying mounts that can not be gotten any other way.

And some of the F2P games do just suck in general. Forsaken World is okay. It's basically an Asian WoW clone. And I have played several others that all have their good/bad points.

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:55 am
Profile YIM
Forum Moderator

Puzzle Pirates has the best F2P model that I've seen.

In PP you buy things with dubloons and Poe.
Some things like badges to play all the diff puzzles you need dubloons for while
weapons and clothing and furniture, etc. can be bought with poe. (though
if you order these items to be made for you it usually costs an additional duboon
delivery fee).

You can buy dubloons with real money OR you can buy them off players in a sort of
auction house for poe. The dubloons are fairly cheap to get and thus the game really is
free. There are still tons of people who just buy the dubloons instead of working
for them so PP still makes their money.

There's no levels in the normal MMORPG sense, you basically try to get respected
in different areas and skills like swordfighting, poker, shipwrightery, battle navigation, etc.

It's actually a fun game that I've been playing for years but it's not SUPER compelling
plus it's sort of G-rated.

Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:10 am
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

Narco wrote:
Champs was ok.. but solo it gets a bit boring.
Its also kinda easy.

/agree.... For Solo the best thing for me was the Arenas.. I still like the Zombie one... It is about the same enjoyment I get from playing a first person shooter like DoD. Only in this F2P I get to level up my Toon and have more choices then in a FPS. That adds a extra level for me. Like the DAoC BGs. BUT FREE!

We have a group of 4 that will run the Quests about once a week and all of us think this Game is very well done for Free. We have yet to feel the need to pay cash for anything. :cheesy:
Then again we are only level 27 now so this may change.

D&D Online however did nickel and dime somewhat.

Like Fuiri stated you only get a certain number of character slots, have mail restrictions and have some inventory restrictions... but this does little to effect our play.

The company that runs Champions online does special events and they really give a lot away. XP bonus, gifts, access to pay only areas, etc.... and they just gave us a free character slot :cool:

This Game is so big that our Group is thinking, once we get max level, that we will make new Toons and play in a different Zone since we really only have had the time thus far to play in two of their Zones. We missed so much content.

Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:56 pm
BbB Member

Broadly speaking i agree ftp leaves you short but theres pro & cons. And theres a few that it does work ok for.
At the least, ftp gives you a trial version with no time limit.

AoC you can lvl free but if you want endgame youll have to switch to ptp. Versatile game for any play style,You can even solo your way into epic gear.

Agree re Puzzle Pirates.

L2 claim their ftp (from 30th next week) will have no limitations & their paid stuff will be more new items etc. I'm guessing their upcoming release of Lineage 3 (Lineage Eternal) may have a lot to do with this move.

Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:42 am
Profile ICQ
Forum Moderator

L3 is nowhere near release and may not even be in development anymore as the whole team left NCsoft and are the ones
creating Tera. (Bluehole entertainment) Supposedly there is another NCSoft games in the works though.

Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:58 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]