Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
So how does this thing stack up? 

Post So how does this thing stack up?
http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668210.php

Looks like I need a new system.. and I dont build computers.. I dont know the first thing about trying to build one... so I get to buy them assembled. How's this one look? All you computer guru's can tear this apart for me and say.. ya.. it sucks.. or its decent.. or nice.. or wtf ever :) Please!

Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:10 pm
Forum Admin

Post Re: So how does this thing stack up?
I have actually used this machine hands on....

With all the pre-installed software (startup items, etc) it's a little bit slow for what it should be.

When you clean all that up it's a damn fast machine.

If you are going to buy retail it's not a bad machine, but why not look around at some places online that build custom machines for you. See if the prices are a bit better?

Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:39 am
Profile ICQ WWW

The PC looks like it should run just about anything pretty well. The only bad thing I have read about it is the size. With the way things are layed out you can't install a new graphics card if you wanted to in the main slot. You have to move it down to the bottom slot meaning you couldn't run 2 cards if you ever wanted to.

The only upgrade I would make to it as soon as I could would be to add more memory. It comes with 3gigs but I would add another gig when you can. Other than that it should get the job done for ya.

Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:51 am
Profile YIM
Forum Moderator

IMHO if you're going to buy a pre-assembled and loaded computer than get yourself a laptop. There are plenty of fairly cheap laptops now that can run games well.

Otherwise you're paying twice what you could build a PC for. and that sucks ass.

How close are you to North Carolina? Tabacooville to be exact? My buddy Chad lives there and builds computers all the time.. If he's close enough you can have him build you one farily cheaply. He's a good guy and I've known him for 27 years now so I know he's trustworthy :). If that sounds like a good idea if its close enough to you then shoot me a PM and I'll give you his email then give him a call and tell him to hook you up.

if not.. I suggest a laptop :biggrin:

Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:48 am
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

Quote:
So how does this thing stack up?

Pretty shitty for someone is playing WoW

Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:40 am
Profile WWW
Forum Admin

Don't game with a laptop, otherwise I'll see you posting some shit on here that says "how does this this thing stack up" in about 1.5 years... if not less.

Also, who cares, if you are playing World of Warcraft? You can play that shit on a 386. Ask any 12 year old that is in your guild.

Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:59 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Forum Moderator

Varadin wrote:
Don't game with a laptop, otherwise I'll see you posting some shit on here that says "how does this this thing stack up" in about 1.5 years... if not less.

Also, who cares, if you are playing World of Warcraft? You can play that shit on a 386. Ask any 12 year old that is in your guild.

Var... Read up on the new laptops.. Just because Bestbuy has shit doesn't mean thats all there is :twisted:

FYI.. Did you know there are newer laptops that can be upgraded very easily?

Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:55 am
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

Yeah the market is just flooded with laptop graphics cards, etc for upgrades.

Laptops will be and always shall be for portability.

Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:17 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Forum Moderator

Varadin wrote:
Yeah the market is just flooded with laptop graphics cards, etc for upgrades.

Laptops will be and always shall be for portability.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Gra ... 844.0.html

Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:08 pm
Profile YIM

9800M GTX (2nd on the list) [Laptop GFX]
http://service.futuremark.com/hardware/ ... _9800m_gtx

9800 GTX (3rd on the list) [Desktop GFX]
http://service.futuremark.com/hardware/ ... e_9800_gtx

The link you provided basically generates the ultra high and unrealistic scores based on theory. Laptops have waaaay long to go before you can say that the 9800 card in the laptop will be as good as the 9800 in the desktop. I think it's garbage how they even put the same series/models on those cards then excuse it by putting a M at the end of it...

9800M GTX
G92 core.
112 Stream Processors.
500 MHz core clock.
1375 MHz shader clock.
799 MHz memory clock.
256 bit memory interface.
51.2 GB/s memory bandwidth.
28.0 billion texels/s texture fill rate.
420 GigaFLOPS.

GeForce 9800 GTX
G92 Core
128 Stream Processors
675 MHz core clock
1688 MHz shader clock
2200 MHz memory clock
256 bit memory interface
70.4 GB/s memory bandwidth
43.2 billion texels/s texture fill rate
648 GigaFLOPS

Now I am fully aware that these aren't THE BEST cards out there. I just saw that the 9800M GTX was the first one on that list you posted and thought I'd make an example of it.

You also have to factor in the obvious, that laptops have mobile versions of everything to cut heat issues and space. A laptop GFX card that is soldered to the MB will not do the same as a GFX card in a desktop that takes up the case wall, to wall, to wall, to wall. There are some great ASUS gaming laptops out there (and others) that even Best Buy carries that would be great to run some of these next-gen games on, perhaps with some jumpy framerate and potential overheating. But you are spending double the price of what you could build a desktop for to get the same performance, all while only being able to upgrade so much in the future (SOME RAM, maybe you could upgrade to one other CPU if the mobo supports it, but forget getting a better GFX card).

Anyways, that's my 3 cents that no one asked for.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:05 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

The components on higher-end laptops stopped being "integrated" since 2002 because of the high development costs. They simply found ways to connect things so they lay horizontally instead of vertically.

The new mini notebooks that are around 400 dollars, now those are a different story.

oh and those were not theory marks.. They were benchmarked video cards. They left out the benchmarks on ones they did not do.. If they were theory there'd be a number for every one.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:45 am
Profile YIM

And I quote directly from that article

Quote:
The list is ranked by the aproximate speed of the GPU (may differ with some 3DMark values).

I linked you to the 3dmark website with real results from people's benchmarks. They compare no where near that.

And again, like I said before, yeah you can change CPUs and RAM and such on those higher end laptops, but you can only go so far. The performance of a 1400 dollar notebook is not worth the money because the only time I would need that performance is when I am sitting at a desk where I can use a mouse and perhaps even an external keyboard (it's so uncomfortable to game with a external mouse and still be using the laptop keyboard_). I will not be playing a game at the airport sitting in a chair using the trackpad. Hence why a desktop would make more sense. Get a cheaper laptop for portability.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

What you quoted just explains the order the video cards are listed in..

It is much easier to upgrade a desktop but it is not impossible to upgrade laptops nor is it even that hard on certain laptops.. Gaming on laptops is just a matter of preferance. If you like a laptop there is no reason to not get one these days.. They are slightly more money than a desktop but if you are not building your own desktop then the price difference is really negligible.

As for 3dmarks.. the outcome has many variables on laptops with cheap laptops having higher GPU's but shared memory and or slower CPU's that help in some processing. For actual gaming you really need to get specific results from a certain build. Using the benchmarks for a certain GPU only goes so far in telling the whole story.

You seem to be very deadset against laptops.. I don't know where all the animosity comes from.. I'm only suggesting it is a viable choice these days. I personally have 2 desktops and 3 laptops and my main laptop will ALMOST run Warhammer but not quite and it's damn near 5 years old. My mother's laptop that she bought for 900 dollars this past year runs warhammer great.

Both of my older laptops run Daoc fine (i used to dual log with the laptop running my bot - was great for less clutter) and both are over 5 years old. I've also upgraded both, memory and Harddrivewise but not GPUwise. They are both too old for that.

These days you can even build laptops from the ground up if you want to.. It's harder than a desktop of course but completely doable if you have a bit of knowledge.. Sooner or later all PC's will be portable anyway.

It's nice to have a PC you can move from room to room or take on trips or pop into the local coffee shop/cafe/bookstore with if thats your choice.. You can hook up external Monitors/Keyboards/mice if you prefer to have a more traditional feel and you can leave those externals in one area if you prefer.

Can you build a better desktop than a laptop currently? Absolutely
Do you need all that extra power from your PC currently? Doubt it.

I've been around since PC's began and I've watched speeds double/triple/quadruple etc.... Speed increases are slowing dramatically in CPU's No longer are we doubling cpu speeds every few months or even every year anymore. The only way to go faster is stacking chips and even that has it's limitations with heat and size.. We're creeping upto the computational wall and the only way forward is through size and portability. Actually there is a way forward besides those two but it really has no bearing on personal computing.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:17 pm
Profile YIM
BbB Member

Cost wise you will generally always get more for your money with a Desktop PC.

Granted now a days it's not that big of a difference and can be easily offset with the price of a monitor.

NASA Space Photos for the Wows
My Personal C# .NET Developer Blog

Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:04 am
Profile YIM WWW
Forum Moderator

If you like desktops also there are micro atx cases that are pretty freakin cool but are a pain in the ass to put together(not all of them tho).. I have a Shuttle case that I love.. It's my garage computer, currently its dead as I need a new PSU for it but can't find a tiny one that will last. The stock PSU's were garbage in the SHuttles.. Regardless, the case is great.

I want to upgrade that mini PC but I havent had the time or money to get into it.

Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:25 pm
Profile YIM

Buy a reg sized power adapter for like 50 bucks and just keep it outside the case and seal off the hole with some sort of covering. Ghetto, but a temp solution till you find an OEM fit.

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:10 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Enthwar wrote:
Buy a reg sized power adapter for like 50 bucks and just keep it outside the case and seal off the hole with some sort of covering. Ghetto, but a temp solution till you find an OEM fit.

LOL I did that but needed the PSU for my main computer so now I'm short one... Not a big deal really as the PC is just a spare garage computer anyway. The mancave PC lol

Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:33 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]