Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
I NEED A NEW COMPUTER 

Post I NEED A NEW COMPUTER
OK so im gonna buy a new computer, and im starting from scratch. i need assistance on what i should buy, meaning everything i need, and its price!. but i only want to spend $1000 on it

Wed May 13, 2009 3:49 am
BbB God

Post Re: I NEED A NEW COMPUTER
double post

Last edited by Lodi on Wed May 13, 2009 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 13, 2009 6:34 am
BbB God

With a thousand bucks you should be able to build a pretty beefy machine. I don't have time to give you part names and stuff, but I can give you general guildelines.

intel core two duo or quad (I'm not sure what the prices are on the quads now but I'm sure they came down a lot

2 gb min of ram, prefer 3 gb (ram is so cheap, 3 gb should be easy to afford)
look for ram and motherboard that will have minimum 800 FSB or higher, 1333 would probably be the best you can get out now I think still. (haven't actually looked at parts in a few months now)

Nvidia 9800 512 mb should be plenty card to run anything you need

Those are the basics that you need. Don't believe all the hype on cases/power supplys. Buy a case that comes with a power supply for 50 bucks, there is NO need to buy a 200 dollar case that doesn't even come with a power supply. any run of the mill 400 watt power supply that comes with most cases should be fine.

Don't worry about overclocking your CPU, just disregard anyone that tells you "I OCd my 2.5 to 5.0 man, it's sooo f'kin awesome man" There is no need to OC any of the core two duos or quads, they are PLENTY fast IMO and should give you less problems in the long run not OCd

I can give you more info later if you absolutely need it, but Im sure others will chime in here throughout the day and give more info. Like I said, I haven't actually looked at parts in a few months so my info might be slightly out dated, but the items I mentioned above should be plenty PC to run any game out right now, easily. (and probably be under 600 dollars)

Wed May 13, 2009 6:34 am
BbB Member

I just built my new pc a few months ago and only spent $1100.

Intel Core i7 920 Quad Core and Intel DX58SO Motherboard $529.99
Gforce GTX 260 $250.00
Corsair XMS3 Tri Channel 6GB PC10666 DDR3 Memory - 1333MHz, $86.99

Running through orvr with no lag ... Priceless

Wed May 13, 2009 8:17 am
BbB Member

hehe, warning. I disagree with almost all of Lodi's advice! Not that his is wrong, but I generally go towards the other side of things when I am building a PC. Here is something I specced out real fast. Someone look this over for me and make sure I didnt miss anything.

I left out the monitor assuming you have one... but honestly with that graphics card a reccomend buying at least a 22" LCD if you can. You can lower the specs on some of these parts to make some budget room. Its attached. Didnt spend a whole lot of time speccing it, but gives you an idea.

Attachments:
pc.JPG
pc.JPG [ 110.48 KiB | Viewed 8392 times ]

Wed May 13, 2009 8:20 am
Profile YIM
BbB God

Quote:
hehe, warning. I disagree with almost all of Lodi's advice! Not that his is wrong, but I generally go towards the other side of things when I am building a PC. Here is something I specced out real fast. Someone look this over for me and make sure I didnt miss anything.

Your advice is going to spend 1100 bucks and give him a pc that is VERY VERY good, my advice will give him a PC that will be very good and still allow him to have 500 bucks in his pocket left over.

You're spending 270 bucks on a case and power supply, I have NEVER ever spent more than 50 bucks on a case AND power supply and my PCs have all lasted me over 7 years. I have my secondary pc that I had back before I started playing DAOC, still using it today (not for gaming obviously), with a shitty ass 350 watt power supply that I had in it from day 1. My wife still uses her PC (same exact build) only her power supply went out a couple years ago, and I stuck an even OLDER power supply in it from one of our PCs we owned prior to the shitty DAOC boxes we have. If you have money to burn, sure, go ahead and throw 250 bucks on a case and power supply, but if you would rather spend that money on something else, you can easily buy a case/power supply for 50 bucks and be fine. I spec PCs out for ppl that don't want to spend 1500 dollars on "the best" but still have a very fine running PC.

My machine I built the week before war came out runs great, Vyrzain took my advice on some parts and built his PC on a budget and his works great also. We are both in different situations than a lot of you guys might be in, we don't "want" to spend 1200 dollars on a pc for a game. I have many other things I would rather spend it on that are more important to me (not saying that it should be this way for you) It isn't until we have 250+ ppl in a fort where I start to have problems, and I'm pretty sure even your spec'd PC will have problems at that point, I don't think it's the PC fault, more of the servers fault with the server side lag.

Wed May 13, 2009 9:22 am
Forum Admin

It all depends on your NEEDS:

Are you building this PC for Warhammer or Crysis? Be honest with yourself--if you don't play the latest generation FPS games, you simply DON'T NEED a hugely powerful system. I built a box that's capable of running Warhammer at full settings and capable of running WoW at full settings...and C&C RA3 at full settings for about $450 back in September 2008. I don't plan on playing Crysis. I don't want to run Bioshock--and this PC plays the games I do play better than I could have expected!

You do NOT need some super expensive power supply. I'm going to say this very plainly: No one needs to spend $250 on a case and power supply. You are only buying marketing.

Assess your needs honestly--and when you know them, I can give you some great advice on how to build a great PC.

Wed May 13, 2009 10:21 am
Profile WWW
BbB Member

I spent 100 dollars on my power supply cause i couldn't find one that had dual 12 volt rails = up to 30 amps for my video card cause my video card wouldn't turn on with my normal power supply. Its not about the watt's really anything around 350-400 watts is all you need its the amp's on the 12volt rail's that matter for your video card.

Wed May 13, 2009 12:34 pm
Profile YIM
BbB Member

Well your right of course, both of you. My take on it has always been this:

1. Cases last forever. That p180 is one of the best on the market, the airflow is top notch and it is solid. I should know, I use it.

2. That PC will last him 4-5 years with the way hardware is moving right now. Hence the reason I feel its worth the extra $$$.

In the end it is obviously his choice. He has guideline parts now to scale up or down on. I personally enjoy PC gaming so I take my rig pretty seriously hence a different outlook on things I suppose.

EDIT: Oh yea, and Power supplies are DEFINITELY worth paying the money for. If you buy a shit PS and it craps out on you, there is a good chance you are going to have other fried components. Seen it a lot, not worth the risk imo.

Wed May 13, 2009 1:41 pm
Profile YIM
BbB Member

I buy antec power supplies :) they are a good brand

Wed May 13, 2009 2:56 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

I agree with Lodi. :wink:

Wed May 13, 2009 5:54 pm
BbB Member

My Power Supply has a lifetime warranty on it, so i'd say it's worth the money.

NASA Space Photos for the Wows
My Personal C# .NET Developer Blog

Fri May 15, 2009 3:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW
BbB God

theres no such thing as a lifetime warranty. 5 years from now, try to change out that power supply and let me know how the company responds. haha

Fri May 15, 2009 4:38 pm
Hib Visitor

Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

Fri May 15, 2009 8:24 pm
BbB God

I was going to quote that, but I was driving at the time. lol

Fri May 15, 2009 8:33 pm
BbB Member

wtf. thats to funny and lodi = setting a bad example there for your daughter who is about to start driving arent ya? hell i race cars and wont text on my phone much less read a website max i will do is talk on it and i always try to keep it short. lol

Sat May 16, 2009 12:56 am
Profile YIM
BbB God

Fortunately, she doesn't read these forums. :P

Sat May 16, 2009 6:36 am

My goal here is to have a computer that will run Warhammer at full and also run SWTOR in 2 years full. not that proper specs are out for this game yet. The problem with my computer atm, is that i can only see half my character at all times, no special effects and when flying, see nothing but a blank screen. although i dont have much lag. I want to see more of the visual aspects of the game, and i feel i am missing out. ATM i have a Dell XPS 1210 with with 2.00GB of RAM, and Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00Ghz, with a Nivida GeForce Go 7400

Sat May 16, 2009 10:16 am
BbB God

Quote:
Nivida GeForce Go 7400

The card is your biggest issue right now, that card is almost as shitty as an on board graphic. Having a nicer CPU would definitely help, but in all honesty that CPU should be fine to run Warhammer. You can get a Core 2 Duo 2.63 right now for like 125 bucks I think, which is a pretty damn good CPU and very reasonably priced. I haven't priced out any of the core 2 quads, so I dunno how cost effective they are for what you get speedwise. Also, I'm not familar with what motherboard that Dell comes with so I dunno what the bus speed is. Most likely it's gotta be an 800 fsb I'm sure.

Sat May 16, 2009 1:02 pm
BbB Member

Love the quote, but it's a BFG Tech Power Supply.

And all BFG Tech Hardware comes with a limited lifetime warranty.

They also have a lot of Highly Rated products.

Both my Graphics Card and Power Supply are BFG and I have had no problems with them what so ever.

NASA Space Photos for the Wows
My Personal C# .NET Developer Blog

Mon May 18, 2009 1:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW
BbB God

Quote:
And all BFG Tech Hardware comes with a limited lifetime warranty

Key word being "limited"

As I said, there is no such thing as a lifetime warranty. You will eventually witness that at some point, possibly with your power supply.

That isn't to say that the brand you bought is not a great product, (it very well may be the best power supply in the world for all I know) I'm just saying that they will not warrant that power supply for your entire life. ;)

btw...I have a power supply that I didn't spend a dime on cuz it came with my case that I built over 8 years ago. Still works like a champ, never had a problem with it. Lucky? maybe. But in my 12 years of working with PCs, I've seen great brand name parts come broken straight out of the box and I've seen no name brands work for many years. It's all a little luck of the draw IMO. :)

Mon May 18, 2009 9:12 pm
Hib Visitor

craftsman tools are lifetime warranty. suck it bitch

Mon May 18, 2009 11:23 pm
BbB Member

this is the truth. I have over 400 craftsman tools and every time i've needed one replaced that had a warranty had no issues they just say go get one off the shelve and bring it to the checkout. And its not just craftsman snap-on is the same way so is williams who are part of snap-on and like 5 other tool companies they all garentee their tools lifetime. And ive never once heard of anyone being denied a swap.

Tue May 19, 2009 12:22 am
Profile YIM
BbB God

Ya, just wait until Sears goes out of business in another year or two. Then take your broken shit back to their locked doors and try to change it out.

Lifetime warranty my ass. ;)

Tue May 19, 2009 5:52 am
Forum Moderator

Just because you outlive the store doesn't mean they didn't have lifetime warranties that lasted lifetimes prior to
your life.

My grandfather had all Craftsman tools and most of my dad's tools are my grandfather's old tools that are still
under warranty long after his death. so I'd say that's lifetime and beyond!

As for power supplies.. There are many many variables that effect the life of a power supply. Dust and heat are a
huge factor as is the regulated voltage that it receives from a socket. The other main variable being what type of
equipment it is powering. Some video cards for example are known to kill power supplies.

Fri May 22, 2009 7:40 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]