Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Windows help 
BbB Member

Post Windows help
Does microsoft sell a version that isn't a full install cause i went to walmart to buy vista and the box said upgrade on both the home and premium editions ($100 and $130)? My question now is are those only upgrades or the full windows on it? The boxes never said anywhere on them that there isn't a full install. But the Upgrade said you can upgrade all these different versions to vista premium SP1. And I didn't buy it cause if I ever need a reformat that disk wont work if it doesn't come with the full version of windows. PLZ HELP!! :P

*edit* Also does vista 32bit allow for more then 3 gigs of ram? :P cause ive got 4 :P and would like all 4 to show up.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:20 am
Profile YIM
BbB Member

Post Re: Windows help
Looks like it is just an upgrade not the full install good thing I didn't buy it.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:27 am
Profile YIM
BbB Member

Also are there any benifits for vista over 7 or xp? Guess I should rephrase this. What version of windows should I buy XP, Vista, or 7.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:31 am
Profile YIM
BbB God

32 bit OS will not be able to use more than 4 gb of ram, that is including your video card ram. So most vid cards have 512, your ram would be able to go up to 3.5 gb max. If you put 4 gb sticks in, 512 of it will be not used. Don't listen to anyone else if they tell you differently, they are wrong. Vista 64 bit will allow you to go higher than 4 GB.

You can't buy XP anymore, so the question would be vista or 7 and I would just wait for 7 myself. You technically can still buy XP, if you know someone like me that can still get it, but you won't see it on any shelves anywhere.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:40 am
BbB Member

K so preorder 7 from microsoft I can do that :P If i buy the full install can I still upgrade my xp without reformating? Also will windows 7 allow for more then 4 gigs? Says that windows 7 full install comes with both 32 bit and 64bit what should I run it in if i get windows 7 i have 64bit processor so....

Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:47 am
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

You will need to run the 64-bit version of Windows 7 when you get it to be able to address all of your RAM.

As Lodi said, definitely skip Vista. You *should* be able to upgrade without formatting--but I frankly wouldn't recommend it.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:16 am
Profile WWW
BbB God

Quote:
K so preorder 7 from microsoft I can do that :P If i buy the full install can I still upgrade my xp without reformating?

To be honest, I am not 100% sure, but I'm leaning towards having to do a clean install from xp to 7.

As far as the 32 vs 64 bit OS, I HATE 64 bit OS..

BUT, I have really only dealt much with XP and Server 2003 64 bit, not much with Vista and none of 7. I can't speak on the Vista or 7 64 and give you a good experienced reply. My initial thought is, it HAS to be better than XP and server 2003 64 bit because it is the way that PCs are all going to be heading soon, PCs need more RAM so I'm assuming they will all be going to 64 bit soon. I just can't speak on how reliable vista or 7 are in 64 bit flavors.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:17 am
BbB God

Quote:
You *should* be able to upgrade without formatting--but I frankly wouldn't recommend it.

I'm fairly certain I heard "no" on the xp > 7 upgrade, because I remember saying "WTF is microsoft thinking!" but it coulda been in regards to something else. I tend to say that statement a lot. ;)

Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:18 am
BbB Member

I realized that I can just save all my stuff to dvd and reput it back on my pc :P after a fresh install. FRESH INSTALLS ARE TEH BESTORZ!! :P Also I'm going to sell my xbox360 to do this since i haven't touched my xbox in 1 year. And I've also only found 1 game i am even fond of and it was forza2 other then that nothing appealed to me or when I bought it I hated the game. lol

Last edited by Powin on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:21 am
Profile YIM
BbB God

yes< even if it will upgrade, i suggest same as nalty. wipe it!

Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:22 am
BbB Member

Nalty is 64bit hard to operate in vista not sure who has tested the beta with 64bit on 7. I'm still learning software stuff. Hardware is no problem for me for the most part. But I have to ask alot of questions with software lol.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:24 am
Profile YIM
BbB Member

with 64 bit version of windows one of the main things you have to worry about is non-64bit applications.

I think windows 7 will probably do a pretty good job at doing 64 bit, most places are getting on the 64 bit bandwagon.

NASA Space Photos for the Wows
My Personal C# .NET Developer Blog

Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:59 am
Profile YIM WWW
Forum Admin

My HTPC runs Vista-64 right now and it works fine with 32-bit applications (at least, the ones I've put on there). I can't wait to get that thing upgraded to windows 7 honestly. Or OS X if Apple will add blu-ray support.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:41 am
Profile WWW
BbB Member

So my windows is fucking up worse now. Which is the whole reason I'm upgrading anyone know where I can find vista 64bit?

*edit* i found a 32bit vista home premium for $219 on amazon(shows it as the full not upgrade) but on the windows site it is $239 with a free windows 7 upgrade when it releases.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:03 am
Profile YIM
BbB War

I am currently using the Vista 7 64bit, and have had very few problems. Most problems i have had, the OS eventually figured out the correct compatibility mode to use, and the software has worked. This worst problem I had was with my keyboard software, they only had Vista 64bit drivers to use, and the driver install program was having an issue not wanting to install, but eventually it worked with minimal input from me.

I was unable to upgrade my vista 32 bit version due to going from 32 to 64, I ended up doing a dual boot to my second HD at the time because it was not an official release version and I was just trying it out. But i actually haven't had a reason to go back to my Vista boot in about 3 months now. When 7 officially comes out i will wipe my primary HD and do a clean install again.

Anyone know if you can still download the Win7 Release candidate? you may try that if you can still get it.

Tilburn - Mesmer

retired
Vannis - Sith Assassin (SWTOR)
Vannis - Magus (WAR)
Dumpy - Shaman (WAR)

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:30 am
BbB War

Here is my own answer.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/download.aspx

they say until August 20th you can get the download.

Tilburn - Mesmer

retired
Vannis - Sith Assassin (SWTOR)
Vannis - Magus (WAR)
Dumpy - Shaman (WAR)

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:33 am
BbB Member

Ya i think ill just wait and get the full windows 7 instead of buying vista. That way i can full install windows 7. Ill just preorder and deal with my messed up windows till then lol.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:56 am
Profile YIM
BbB Member

Powin wrote:
Ya i think ill just wait and get the full windows 7 instead of buying vista. That way i can full install windows 7. Ill just preorder and deal with my messed up windows till then lol.

Get the release candidate of windows 7 if you are having so many problems.

It doesn't cost anything and you can use it till March of 2010 if you need to.

NASA Space Photos for the Wows
My Personal C# .NET Developer Blog

Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW
BbB Member

Unkowen wrote:
Powin wrote:

Get the release candidate of windows 7 if you are having so many problems.

It doesn't cost anything and you can use it till March of 2010 if you need to.

But I need to be able to burn it to a disk don't I? Which I cant which I made in another post. sadly *sigh*

*edit*Thank god my moms laptop has a dvd burner :P

*edit2* Sorry I've just had a bad morning with all this and being tired doesn't help lol.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:47 pm
Profile YIM
BbB Member

Is it possible to install windows without a partition cause when i went to make a dual boot partition it said my hard drive was unallocated. So im thinking ok ill just create one as soon as i did that my computer gave me the blue screen of death and now says i have no windows *SIGH*. Hope this windows 7 rc works out for meh! :P wish me luck peeps.

PS thanks for all the help you all make me feel better!!!! By helping me.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:32 pm
Profile YIM
BbB Member

can i install windows 7 rc as the primary os with no other operating system? Also everytime i burn this iso file at 99%says some crap about can't do some length file or some crap then ejects the cd so far the cd is installing though.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Profile YIM
BbB Member

YAY windows 7 is up and running just reinstalling the games and whatnot *sigh*

Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:38 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]