Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
Bad Rift patch made Saowynn's computer die 
BbB War

Post Bad Rift patch made Saowynn's computer die
No joking. She was installing yesterday's patch and while it was still "applying" the patch it completely froze her computer up. We waited a few minutes for it to unfreeze and it never did. We did a hard boot and the OS (vista) won't load. I called Alienware and we were able to go into BIOS and see that the hard drive was still being recognized. We try to reinstall Vista and it won't reinstall it.

Now I have a computer friend of my wife's whose coming to take her computer to their shop to run diagnostics to see if he can save the hd. We had to order a replacement hd because chances are its dead. This happened a few years ago because her dad is an idiot who opens every email, file, website, etc. he ever sees and Norton was going nuts trying to stop it. He hard booted her computer (because the idiot thought he was just turning it off) while it was trying to fix a registry error and it killed the hd and everything was lost.

He was over this weekend and yesterday when this happened was the first real time she tried to use her computer. So I definitely think he did something but it was Rift was trying to apply the patch that it froze up and it won't respond. I'm hoping our friend can fix this but I got a feeling its fragged.

Any ideas why applying a patch to a game would do this?

Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:39 pm
Forum Admin

Post Re: Bad Rift patch made Saowynn's computer die
My only guess is that the patch attempted to write data to a sector of the drive that was either hosed to begin with or that triggered a virus that her Dad had managed to install on her system.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
BbB Officer

Dunno what rift does, but it's patching is pretty fucking hardcore on it's use of resources. Even with a SSD it makes my PC ungodly slow when the patching process starts, I can't even bring up webpages.

It wouldn't surprise me that the patching caused a mechanical failure to come up with the drive.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:54 pm
Forum Moderator

Weird, i've never had any problems while patching.. I usually surf the web and talk on vent. while patching...

Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:10 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

I'm voting obvious coincidence.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:08 am
Profile ICQ WWW
BbB Officer

I would probably side with Var on this one.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:18 pm
BbB War

Just update: that friend runs a computer company and he used his diagnostic tools to see if he could retrieve or save any of the hard drive and no go. Her dad did something, not sure what he did, but he killed the hard drive again. We're hoping to have the replacement in monday and have her up and running by Tuesday if possible. This is the second time her dad has killed that computer and honestly I could break his fingers if he tried touching it again.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:45 pm
Forum Admin

I honestly doubt that whatever - if anything - he did, could cause a mechanical failure of the drive or total data loss. One thing we are sure of, the title of this thread is completely incorrect.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:15 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
BbB War

No offense but he has done this twice. Her computer was running perfectly both times and both times he was in the computer room in our house by himself and did something. He opens any emails he gets, he clicks every link and worse of all he will turn a computer off and on and off and on repeatedly. I've never seen a person with less computer awareness.

He killed her hard drive twice now and both times now we've had to replace it with a total loss on the hard drive. Nothing could be retrieved because nothing could read the hard drive.

As for the thread title? That is when it happened this second time. Her computer was applying the patch and it froze the entire computer up. The only way to restart the computer was a hard boot and it would not read the hard drive after that only wanting to boot up from CD. And when we put in the recovery disk it still wouldn't work.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:37 pm
Forum Moderator

A harddrive can not be killed by someone with no computer skills.

You turn the PC on and off repeatedly. Big deal it doesn't matter WHERE the HDD is reading or writing it will
just start and stop as normal. The speed a drive seeks/reads and writes is a thousand times faster than any person
can flip a switch or reboot a computer. If he's physically BEATING the PC while it was writing that's a diff story but
that would mean he maliciously TRIED to harm the PC.

If some bad data is written to a drive it does not make the drive unreadable, ONLY a bad harddrive or physical
damage can make a drive completely unreadable. And even then there are some forensic softwares that will
get some data from them.

99% of all malicious files that can be downloaded thru emails or webpages are Adware or Spyware or worms.. The
possibilty of him, you, me or any of us getting a virus that can specifically make a HD unreadable are astronomical.
You have a better shot of getting struck by lightning twice exactly a year apart while standing in the same spot
in the middle of a forest in a valley. The worst a virus could do to a HD is either overwrite the boot sector with jibberish
OR more maliciously it could possibly change the voltage settings in certain PCs which could kill certain drives or
cards but even still would not make a drive completely unreadable. Once the drive is written to it would need to be physically
erased/eritten over in order to remove the data or make the data unreadable. It takes QUITE awhile to do that especially
if you have a terrrabyte or more of info.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:45 pm
Profile YIM
BbB War

Narco, man, really, the hd is dead. Trust me.

I've already told you what happened and the result. I don't know exactly what he could have done since I wasn't here to see what he did except to note he has routinely will turn a computer on/off several times and he will open every email/file attachment known to mankind.

Saowynn has an Alienware computer with Vista OS and a 250 gb hd. Soon to be 500 gb hd when the replacement arrives and we put it in. One of her friends and mine to a lesser degree is a guy who runs his own computer business where he installs network software/hardware for companies and also does data retrieval. He has professional diagnostic tools as a professional expert. Two years or so ago when it happened the first time her computer wouldn't start up at all. You hit the power button and all you got was black screen. He tried to access the hd and retrieve information, nothing. He told us that it was almost impossible to lose everything but something happened when her dad was on the computer to kill the hd.

Fast forward to last weekend and it happened again. The only difference is that this happened while her computer was applying a patch and froze. Subsequent boot attempts would you only take you to the screen where is says "boot from CD..." and nothing would happen at that point. Hitting F8 for safe mode or delete while turning the computer on to bring up the BIOS screen did nothing. The hard drive was simply dead. Not even recovery cds would bring it back or allow you to reinstall Vista.

Said friend took computer and again used his professional tools to try and access the hd and fix it if he could or at least retrieve data. Nothing. Hard drive is once again completely inaccessible and nothing can be retrieved from it. So either a friend whose been a professional computer expert for eighteen years is lying to our faces that the hd have been damaged to the point of nothing being retrieved or usable or some combination of activity my father in law did twice now has resulted in a dead hard drive.

I'm not sure why people seem to think I'm lying over this or that I don't know what I'm talking about. I know enough about computers to know when a hd is dead. Having a computer expert independently verifying that using professional diagnostic tools makes some of the comments on here either extremely unhelpful or rude. Or both. If anyone of you lived close enough to come take a whack at it yourself I would be more than happy to let you try.

What I was asking about from the start was if it was possible applying a rift patch could somehow result in a catastrophic loss or corruption of the hd. Does it overwrite the registry which could result in an unending registry error because it froze while applying? I have never had a computer freeze while applying a patch to an executable file so I don't know. All I do know is that the hd is dead and the last thing that hd was attempting to do was apply a patch from Rift. If you guys have any ideas as to how this could have happened so we can try to prevent it from happening in the future then please respond.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:51 pm
Forum Moderator

I'm not going to tear apart everything you just said....

simple answer is NO..

The patcher does not overwrite anything in the boot sector of the drive nor could it
CAUSE the catastrophic failure of your HD. The HD is bad or you have a MOBO problem
that is killing your HD due to voltage or bad interface ports. (eide/ide/sata/etc).

And no offense to your friend but if a HD is dead (won't spin) the forensic software cannot retrieve
information by itself due to the HD not being able to spin up by itself. There are other
ways to retrieve the data from dead drives using software and a shell drive but you actually
have to disassemble the drive and remove and reinsert the platters into another shell. It's nowhere
near as complicated as it sounds. Drives are very simple creatures.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:36 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Moderator

OH and FYI...

I don't think your lying.. Your father in law is what we call a Moosh or Mush.. He's bad luck..

And also I've seen dozens of dead HDs over the past 15+ years of working with computers
and 3+ years beyond that selling and building...No HD lasts forever. But some do last awhile.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:40 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

I don't think anyone is claiming that you're lying, Bulwyf. We all believe the drive is as dead as you say it is--what we don't believe is that downloading any piece of malicious software (no matter how malicious) could have caused a drive to fail that catastrophically so there is no way that her father, or a Rift patch could have done it.

As far as the "registry" goes--while Windows treats it like it's this big, important thing--it's quite specific to windows and has nothing to do with the physical hard drive itself. It's just some files like any other files that windows treats in a special way.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:09 am
Profile WWW
BbB Member

Nalthien wrote:
I don't think anyone is claiming that you're lying, Bulwyf. We all believe the drive is as dead as you say it is--what we don't believe is that downloading any piece of malicious software (no matter how malicious) could have caused a drive to fail that catastrophically so there is no way that her father, or a Rift patch could have done it.

As far as the "registry" goes--while Windows treats it like it's this big, important thing--it's quite specific to windows and has nothing to do with the physical hard drive itself. It's just some files like any other files that windows treats in a special way.

However if your registry is corrupted to a certain point BYE BYE Operating System. :P But Ya no physical damage. :)

And I've done recovery on drives for customers minus the shell thing narco is talking about(cause I don't have that kinda equipment) and that is very true without actually putting the old platters into a temporary working host shell you cannot recover anything cause the hard drive wont spin (if your hard drive really is dead). Your friend might mean dead but still working enough to pull data off(which isn't dead dead). :P And I've pulled info off drives that are making horrible clicking sounds very loud too. Its a bitch cause it doesn't always work and when its doing that it lasts for a very little amount of time before it dies so its one of those what are you wanting me to save and ill try and grab it before the hard drive blows up in my face rofl.

But I hope you get everything sorted out. And sorry your having these issues. :(

Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:33 am
Profile YIM
Forum Moderator

Yar Powin.. physical Platter recovery is the last ditch effort.

I know of a guy that rebuilds HDs quite often but thats his job LOL.
He gave me a nice micrometer one time.. Fuck if I know how to use
it for anything lol.

A more common thing however is replacing the controller board on the HD in
order to get it to spin again. If its a control arm issue though you need
to do the platter thing.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:49 am
Profile YIM
BbB War

I'll ask my friend if the hd would even spin when I see him next.

I also found out that my father in law not only has killed my wife's hd twice now, he has broke his own Mac and my brother in law's hard drive. That's a total of four computers. There is no way any person is that unlucky. He's doing something. For all I know he's physically shaking the computers while the hard drive is engaged which is resulting in physical damage. I know I saw him doing that once. The only thing I know is that if I catch him anywhere near our computers again he's going be thrown out of that room as fast as he can fly.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:18 pm
BbB Member

Narco wrote:
Yar Powin.. physical Platter recovery is the last ditch effort.

I know of a guy that rebuilds HDs quite often but thats his job LOL.
He gave me a nice micrometer one time.. Fuck if I know how to use
it for anything lol.

A more common thing however is replacing the controller board on the HD in
order to get it to spin again. If its a control arm issue though you need
to do the platter thing.

I was always under the assumption that if those platters ever got taken out of the casing they would be bad due to dust particles getting on them and scratching them over time. So without a clean room If you want to use those platters again I didn't think that was possible well I say that as in when you reinclose them they will start going bad due to dust and other things getting on them.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:02 pm
Profile YIM
BbB Member

You would just use them once to get the data off of them so a clean room would not be needed. Granted less dust the better but still..

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:17 pm
Forum Moderator

Laun wrote:
You would just use them once to get the data off of them so a clean room would not be needed. Granted less dust the better but still..

yep...

Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:07 pm
Profile YIM
BbB Member

Laun wrote:

I know that. I thought narco was saying taking the platters off and reusing them in a working shell. :P

Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:13 pm
Profile YIM

This post is full of nerd win, and makes me feel so warm and fuzzy. :) I should participate in adult conversation more often.

Aurynna - Night Elf Holy Priest (Retired) WoW-Thunderlord
Aurynna - Tiny Level Asmodian Cleric (Retired) Aion-Lumiel
Aurynna- Level 26 Cleric (and growing!) Rift-Faeblight

Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:02 am
Profile ICQ YIM
BbB Officer

Rynna wrote:
This post is full of nerd win, and makes me feel so warm and fuzzy. :) I should participate in adult conversation more often.

That means you would have to get in vent and in game when the little one is sleeping..

Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:26 am
Forum Admin

Airmoros wrote:
Rynna wrote:

That means you would have to get in vent and in game when the little one is sleeping..

QFT

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:19 am
Profile WWW

Airmoros wrote:
Rynna wrote:

This implies that I might have more than 15 minutes of time to be awake while he sleeps... He's not much of a napper these days, so when he falls asleep, I pass the fuck out! I might get in vent and say hi now and then, though.

Aurynna - Night Elf Holy Priest (Retired) WoW-Thunderlord
Aurynna - Tiny Level Asmodian Cleric (Retired) Aion-Lumiel
Aurynna- Level 26 Cleric (and growing!) Rift-Faeblight

Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:00 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]