Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
REQUEST: Uber-Health Food 
BbB Member

Post REQUEST: Uber-Health Food
I'm gonna start getting in shape so I'm looking for low fat food with decent calories/carbs and a lot of protein. I'm looking to get into shape but only after I lose a bit of weight so how should I approach this?

I would prefer stuff that is relatively easy and quick to prepare and has very few perservatives and articificial flavors.

I'm sorta looking for a wide spectrum of foods to fill up my 3 meal-times of the day!

Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
BbB Member

I'm assuming you will be taking up excercise as well as a healthier diet, so in that case:

plain whole breast of chicken, baked (for protein)
whole grain rice or wheat
water
unsalted nuts (salt increases water retention)
fish

aka: no processed flour, oily/fried foods, or sugary drinks

eat that way for 2 months and you should notice a big difference. the biggest difference will be from the cutting out the sugary drinks (soda, kool aid, etc)

http://darkphetus.rayd.org

Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:04 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
2 Tbsp. oil
3 cans (19 fl oz/540 mL each) Black Beans, undrained, divided
1 can (10 fl oz/284 mL) no salt chicken broth plus 1 can water
1 can (19 fl oz/540 mL) Chili Style Stewed Tomatoes, undrained

Cook and stir onion, garlic and cumin in oil on medium-high heat in large saucepan 3 min. or until onion is tender; remove from heat.

Place 1 can of the undrained beans and the broth in blender or food processor container; cover. Blend until puréed. Add to ingredients in saucepan. Repeat with second can of undrained beans and water. Add remaining can of beans and tomatoes; mix well.

Bring to a boil on medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer 15 min., stirring occasionally. Ladle the soup into each bowl; top with cheese.

PER ONE CUP SERVING:
Calories 255
Total fat 4.6 g
Saturated fat 0.5 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Carbohydrate 40.7 g
Dietary fibre 15.6 g
Protein 14.8 g
Calcium 9 %RDI
Iron 34 %RDI

I got this off of the Kraft Canada website in the Healthy Living Section
Click here

Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
BbB Officer

Phetus speaks truth. Cut out fried, fatty foods, and lower your sugar intake...you'll notice a huge difference in that alone. I dropped like 25 lbs just from doing that, along with some cardio when I was in the mood. :P

"When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." - 1 Corinthians 13:11

Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Profile ICQ YIM

I made this last night - and holy bejeebus was it good.

Seared Ahi Tuna with Mixed Greens Salada and Wasabi Vinagrette

Ingredients:
1 ahi tuna steak, 6 ounces
2 teaspoons five-spice powder, available in spice aisle
1 teaspoon grill seasoning, such as Montreal Steak Seasoning, or salt and coarse pepper
Cooking spray or vegetable oil, for brushing the grill pan
5 ounces, mixed prewashed baby salad greens
2 radishes, sliced
1/4 European cucumber, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon wasabi paste
1 tablespoon rice vinegar or white vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
3 tablespoons -virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
Coat your steak with a combination of five-spice powder and grill seasoning or salt and pepper. Heat a grill pan or griddle over high heat. Spray grill surface or wipe with a thin layer of oil. Add tuna steak to the hot cooking surface and sear tuna 2 minutes on each side. Remove tuna from heat. Tuna will have white edges and be pink on the inside if seared properly

Combine greens, radishes and cucumber in a bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk wasabi, vinegar and soy sauce. Whisk in oil to combine dressing. Drizzle dressing over your salad and toss to coat evenly. Slice tuna on an angle and arrange on the salad.

Note:
I couldn't find any of this "five spice seasoning" in any of the organic markets here, Even Safeway didn't have it so instead I used a combination of fresh ground sea salt, nori, sea lettuce, oregano, parsley, basil, pepper, coriander, mustard, garlic, poppy seeds, lemon grass, celery seeds, red chilis and violet petals. I think I may have went a little overboard lol but it tasted really good. You could really taste the sea lettuce and lemon grass.
Anyway, moral of the story, if you can't find the five spice Seasoning just put together spices that say "go well with fish" :D

Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:38 pm
Profile WWW

listen to phetus, i tried the vegitarian thing for a while and since ive found out i was pregnant i decided i needed real meats and such and thats basically the diet ive been using, i havent gained much :)

Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:27 am
Profile YIM
BbB Officer

More seafood... Add fish and chicken to your diet...

Also, cut out mayo... substitute it with mustard when you can.

Everything else is just watching your fat intake. As long as you are working out you'll need the carbs trust me. Don't get scared into the whole no carbs thing. Get your carbs, but in a good way (IE... pasta and oatmeal) Do not get your carbs from white bread, pizza, and other shit that'll make you fat. I had to drop about 30 lbs recently and I will say that just by adding more protein (fish and chicken), less fat, and holding the mayo and cheese when I can (also ditch sodapop and drink water)... you'll lose the weight.

However, you still need to exercise.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:50 am
Profile YIM
BbB God

You want to feel better and be able to lose weight at the same time, raise your alkalinity and work out every morning. I don't have any recipes, but the foods you can eat that will raise your alkalinity are usually your green vegetables and most fruits (raw). Get up every morning and work out early, it will raise your mataboloism and help you burn fat better throughout the day, not to mention sparks your mind also. Doing this, you won't have to change your diet all that much.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:20 am
BbB Officer

Yes, working out in the morning sets you up for the day... we all hate doing it in the military, but I'm thankful that I do it. Greens are always a plus, but if you're going to be working out you need the carbs. Also, what helps me out before I work out is No Xplode you can usually find it on a supplement site. It's like legal crack. Literally you feel like you can run 100 miles and it sets you up for a better workout too... so for those times you just don't want to but have to workouts mix in a scoop of that stuff to water (usually the fruit ones taste best) and you'll be wanting to pump iron in no time.

Also, it's not a steroid supplement like creatine, it's used to get the blood flowing and create that raw adrenaline for before workouts.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:47 pm
Profile YIM
BbB God

Greens are always a plus, but if you're going to be working out you need the carbs.

Really depends on situation though, if you are over-weight, it would probably be best to lay off the carbs until you burn the fat you want to get rid of. If you are trying to bulk up (cuz you are too thin now) then yes, carbs will be good. Just make sure you work out.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:24 pm
BbB Officer

Also, what helps me out before I work out is No Xplode you can usually find it on a supplement site. It's like legal crack. Literally you feel like you can run 100 miles and it sets you up for a better workout too... so for those times you just don't want to but have to workouts mix in a scoop of that stuff to water (usually the fruit ones taste best) and you'll be wanting to pump iron in no time.

Also, it's not a steroid supplement like creatine, it's used to get the blood flowing and create that raw adrenaline for before workouts.

Is it FDA Approved?Usually boosting your adrenaline using a supplement is not healthy.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:06 pm
BbB Officer

Yes it's FDA Approved, you can buy it at your local GNC...

There's a lot of science into Nitric Oxide Tru you should read up on it. Especially for hitting the weight room.

And lodi if he's going to be hitting the gym he can get up on the good carbs. Stay away from the complex ones. I'd keep with whole grains and oats which provide the best carbs. Like I said, add a lot more meats and seafood to your diet and you'll be fine. My guess is he's wanting to bulk up a bit and maybe get a little more into shape as far as working out. In which case, he'll need to carbs to sustain his workouts and moreso proteins for the muscle rehabilitation and fat burning. At the moment I'm eating whole wheat pasta. One of these days I'll figure out how to make this shit taste good ;)

Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:23 pm
Profile YIM
BbB Member

Also, what helps me out before I work out is No Xplode you can usually find it on a supplement site. It's like legal crack.

Yeah, NoXplode is the shit, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you took up a serious workout regimine.

http://darkphetus.rayd.org

Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:15 am
Profile ICQ WWW

Rather than go to the extremes of low carb, low fat, high protein, diet supplements, etc. there are several things that you can do that won't stress your body into a rebound situation.

Water, water, water! Water flushes out the waste products from your body, including the toxins produced by the body using up stored fat. Generally speaking, none of us drinks enough water (me included :shock: ). Cutting out the empty calories of soda, kool-aid, and yes, even some of the 'fortified' juices and replacing it with water will go a long way to helping weight loss.

Eat smaller, more frequent, meals. It's commonly called "grazing". Instead of sitting down to large meals three times a day, have snacks 6 to 8 times a day. These still need to be balanced and healthy, but they don't need to be "mega-meals", half a sandwich instead of the foot-long sub.

Exercise. This is generally a no-brainer for losing weight, but folks always seem to get it wrong. Start slow and small. Depending on what you have available to you, a 5 min walk to the end of the block and back, 5 mins on a bicycle, or 5 mins of following a low impact aerobic workout tape to start out. Increase this by 5 mins every week until you are doing as much as you feel comfortable with.

Remember, you didn't put the weight on in a week, it shouldn't come off in a week!! Trying to make this happen messes up your body and almost guarantees that you will fail. As always, if your body is telling you something is wrong by the wondrous mechanism of pain, GO TO THE DOCTOR!

Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:13 am
BbB Officer

Do this: Add color to your diet and decrease white and tan.

Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:40 pm
Hib Visitor

Lots of sex. Shit, you do that up right and you can burn thousands of calories a day!

<--- you too can look like this! DEAD SEXY!

Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:55 pm
Post Early
ellenthall wrote:
so for those times you just don't want to but have to workouts mix in a scoop of that stuff to water (usually the fruit ones taste best) and you'll be wanting to pump iron in no time.

Its just too early in the morning for me to think about something like that let me get some coffee first.

Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:37 pm
BbB Member

Post Re: REQUEST: Uber-Health Food
Augusto wrote:
I'm looking to get into shape but only after I lose a bit of weight so how should I approach this?

It's easier to turn fat to muscle than nothing to muscle. If you're saying you're planning on dieting then working out after you lost weight that's not the best idea from what I was told by a personal trainer.

Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:08 pm
BbB Member

I'm by no means fat or anything.... far from it! I'm a fairly slight guy but I do have a bit of flab in the tummy!

The guys at work have been helping me out with different routines to get my body in tune to working out before I actually do it. Like 4 different push-ups and a few variations of crunches as well as a bit of dumb-bell curls. I guess I'm building up my support muscles they say.

In the new year I'm for sure looking forward to working out a lot more.

I'm a little pessimistic about how easily I can stick to a good food plan... going to work and school downtown doesn't easily lend healthy places to eat... especially on a tight schedule. I should probably pack my lunches from now on!

Thanks all! I'll be visiting this section of the forum a lot more now for tasty light meals to try and spread through the day!

Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:04 am
Profile WWW
BbB Officer

Good luck, Augusto.
One of the most useful things to have is a good attitude. It sounds like you're on the right track, and you've got some advice posted here. When I've uncovered my cookbooks, I'll send quick recipes you're way. Don't think of a change of diet as work or a necessary evil, or you'll just get discouraged. It's your life and you should enjoy what you eat. Have fun with it.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:16 pm

I don't know why I haven't said this before, but Tofu is the some of the best stuff out there full of protein and carbs and incredibly healthy. Of course it has almost no taste on it's own, but mixing it in when you might have used ground or cubed meat will give it lots of flavor from the foods around it.

Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
BbB Officer

Well Lodi made a believer out of me..I get up 6 days a week @ 5:45 am and work out until 6:30 am. Drink 2 glasses of water then eat breakfast which consists of either a wheat bagel with veggie cream cheese or oatmeal or bran cereal. Before I leave for work I drink our Wheatgrass concoction and it has made such a difference in my overall energy level. I can feel my body changing and my attitude. :D I make sure we have something green in every meal , beit salad, or broccoli or green beans. Also I have started eating Kale which is like the #1 super food. I mix that into our salads, you can also cook kale like mustard greens and eat them that way too. I am cutting out most red meat and instead doing chicken, turkey, fish. For Chicken I am doing boneless, skinless breasts and cutting a pocket in them and filling them with Feta or some sort of low-fat cheese, Veggies and cooking them. Tastes really good and is very easy to do.

I just ordered a super food book and will be incorporating many of the foods like berries and kale more into our diet. We also have a juicer now and I used the leftover apple pulp to make some delicious Apple Cinnamon muffins using non-bleached flour and wheat flour. Very very healthy and took like 5 minutes to mix and baked...25 minutes. :D

Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:20 am
BbB Officer

Tru can I come over to your house for dinner?! I love eating foods like that, but considering the time I get home, and Brandon usually is the cook, it's hard to get him to fix something special for me. He won't do the greens much and well what you described just sounds really good!!!

Please trade some recipes and hopefully I can convince him to try them :)

"Stalked in the forest, too close to hide... I'll be upon you by the moonlight side......
Mouth is alive with juices like wine... And I'm hungry like the wolf!"

Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]