Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Request: Cheep Meal Ideas 
BbB Member

Post Request: Cheep Meal Ideas
Well now that i am on my own, i am really strict on cash. So i need some good dinner ideas. Thank you in advance

Kill them all, Let God sort them out.

Camelot Monkey Character Report:
http://camelotmonkey.com/s.php?u=lighttemp

Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:08 am
Profile ICQ
Forum Admin

The enchilada recipe here is pretty cheap:
http://forums.bbbguild.com/viewtopic.php?t=11483

and that's like 3-4 meals for 1 person.

Some extremely economical "side dishes" help things out:

macaroni & cheese is a great option as you can usually get a box (enough for side dishes for 3 adults) for about $0.75.

There are these mashed potato pouches that you can find with the instant mashed potatoes at your store that cost $0.99 / pouch and make enough mashed potatoes to feed 3 people that are really good.

Instant potatoes in general work great; I like the Julienne & Au Gratin varieties and the store brand (which in this case really is just as good as the national brand) is usually about $0.75 / box.

Always try to find boneless / skinless chicken breast on sale....and then buy a few packages and freeze what you can't use immediately. They keep very well in the freezer and can be had for about 1/2 price when they are on sale.

Campell's makes box meals called...umm...."supper creations" or something like that. Basically you just add a couple of chicken breasts to this ready made box that includes either pasta or rice and sauce. The box is like $2.50, and the chicken itself and you've got a complete meal.

Store brand cups of yogurt usually run about $0.40 / cup and make a great addition for lunch (or dinner if you're so inclined).

Can't go wrong wtih pasta. You can make a simple meat sauce & pasta dish with just 3/4lb of ground beef, 1 jar of your favorite sauce, and 1 box of whatever pasta you want. This can usually do about 3-4 meals for an adult and runs less than $5.

Stouffer's makes some good stuff in the "family size" (not the party size, those things are like $13 and you'll be eating it for a week). I like the "Chicken & Broccoli Pasta Bake" best and it runs about $6 and can easily serve 3.

Frozen vegetables are cheap, keep well, and are better tasting and better for you than canned.

Explore the various store brand "30 minute marindade" products to give your meals a little variety. They aren't expensive and can add some much needed change to your diet. Wing sauce makes a great marinade for chicken if you have that around too.

I maintain a good budget, and groceries for both my girlfriend and I total to between $60 and $70 per week.

And don't forget the #1 rule of being economical: pay yourself first! Save at least 10% of every dollar you make; learn to do this as soon as you can and you'll be well on your way to financial success.

Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
BbB Member

Campell's makes box meals called...umm...."supper creations" or something like that. Basically you just add a couple of chicken breasts to this ready made box that includes either pasta or rice and sauce. The box is like $2.50, and the chicken itself and you've got a complete meal.

These things rock. My wife and I have 2 days worth of food from one of these things, combined with a bag of Tyson boneless skinless chicken breasts. Total ownage. Though I warn you to stay away from the "Banquet" brand though, that stuff is shit-in-a-box.

http://darkphetus.rayd.org

Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:25 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
BbB Member

http://www.campbellsoup.com/Supper_Bakes.asp?cpovisq=

ftmfw

http://darkphetus.rayd.org

Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:27 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Forum Admin

yup; those are the ones I was talking about.

Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]