Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Spins on Oatmeal -- Healthnuts 
BbB Officer

Post Spins on Oatmeal -- Healthnuts
If you're a health nut like me, or just wanting to eat a healthier form of food for breakfast look no further than oatmeal. Many of you are probably thinking that Oatmeal looks and tastes disgusting. It is true... by itself it does, but you need to be careful what you combine it with otherwise you might as well just eat a muffin and totally say fuck oatmeal.

Here are some things to add to REGULAR INSTANT UNSALTED OATMEAL... nothing added... just oatmeal.

- Peanut Butter... regular creamy - If you have never had peanut butter and oatmeal this is pure fucking ambrosia. A spin on oatmeal I came up with here in Iraq when I was on my way to losing the 45 lbs I've lost so far.

Peanut butter is good for you and at 1 serving (2Tbspn) It's just the right amount to make any amount of oatmeal taste good.

WARNING: Avoid Fat Free peanut butter at all costs... it is chalked full of sodium and will do you more harm than good. The benefit of peanut butter is in the fat... ;) As with any nuts or oils derived thereof.

- Grapefruit -

Can't take down grapefruit? Cut up half a fruit and mix it in with oatmeal... not only is grapefruit quite possibly one of the best fruits on the face of the planet for burning fat (huge amounts of antioxidants), then oatmeal numbs out some of the acidy over-citrus flavor that make some people cringe. Best of both worlds.

- Applesauce -

Good ole apple sauce... spread a thin layer over a serving and mmm mmm

- Any berries -

The best berry that you can eat is the blue berry... If you're not a blueberry fan don't worry any berry will do. Just a heads up on nature's goodness.

Thought I'd toss out some ideas for you guys. Oatmeal is a great great thing to eat at about 147 calories per a 1 cup serving, adding 1 serving of regular creamy peanut butter makes this a hit at breakfast. If you're not a PB fan, check out the berry / fruit ideas... all of which kickass.

I have a cult here of PB + Oatmeal fanatics lol....
[smilie=666.gif]

Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:44 am
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

Rolled oats are t3h lewz. I prefer steel cut oats, lightly toasted before cooking. The texture is far better than the gulash that results from rolled oats. Then add a little brown sugar at the end for flavor (maybe a little butter or buttermilk) and you're good to go.

Great source of fiber.

Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:40 am
Profile ICQ
Forum Admin

I go with the steel cut as well; nice big flakes and a good consistency. The rolled (instant) oats turn into a gooey glob and I just can't eat them.

That said, I go the brown sugar route as well; but I usually add it to the water. About 1 1/2 tsp per serving into the water while its heaing. It dissolves into the water and flavors the whole bowl that way. Add a little milk and you're good to go.

That said, I'll probably try your suggestions. I *love* blueberries.

Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:53 am
Profile WWW
BbB Officer

The whole thing was to move away from the "sugar"...
while being easy as well. Obviously, if you have fucking time to go for steel cut oats, lightly toasted before cooking, with the brown sugar route, you're a) not going for ease and time and b) the brown sugar is defeating the purpose of the "alternatives" I listed.

Of course, if you're a fucking toothpick like ardent, you can afford to eat all of that "great" stuff :lol:

Edit: this was geared more for the person on the move... make some instant oatmeal, stir a tbspn or two of peanut butter / or add some fruit and your done...

Fucking Emeril Lagassi's over here... :lol:

Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:58 am
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

1 minute prep vs. 5 minute prep...I'm not seeing how the old fashioned, steal cut oats are really that inconvenient.

That said, I really can't stand the "paste" consistency of instant oats.

And yes, I understand you were trying to get away from the sugar. Like I said, I'm definitely going to try your alternatives.

Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:08 am
Profile WWW
BbB Officer

Lightly toasted... lol Ardent made it sound all fucking gourmet. I'll try your 5 minute prep idea ;) fair trade.

You're right I hate the paste too... but realize that most of the people I was aiming at don't have ovens or the like in their office... again more of what Ardent was saying :lol:

Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:13 am
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

there is also this option (from the McCann's website:

Be Prepared - One trick is to prepare five days worth of oatmeal in advance. This can be stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator and used as required. To reheat, use a microwave - heat on high for 2-3 minutes and then enjoy!

Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:28 am
Profile WWW
Forum Admin

For steel cut, you're looking at 10 total minutes.

For instant, you're looking at about 1 minute

For the good comprimise, there's Quaker Old Fashioned rolled oats which have a good texture when compared to instant oats but cook in about 5 minutes instead of 10. That's what I usually buy; but if I have more time I'll get the steel cut.

Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:34 am
Profile WWW
BbB Officer

[smilie=666.gif]

I give...

I'll try yours if you try my peanut butter idea... remember all you need is 2tbspns worth ( bout 1 serving ) ... if at all possible HEAT IT UP for 10-20 seconds so it melts then swirl it in.

If you cant do that put it on a spoon and let it sit in the cooked oats and let it melt away then stir....

Best oatmeal you will ever have...

;)

Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:53 am
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

I already said I was going to try it. It's not like I have a can of oatmeal sitting here at my desk that I can just say, "ooh, I think I'll have a bowl o' oats!"

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

But not the regular flavor or any other flavor other than the maple flavored one..

If you're looking for a diet than look no further than these three ideas..
1. don't eat bread. (also stay low on the hard carbs like Potatoes, pasta)
2. don't drink sugary drinks like soda (stay away from sugars in general.. like drakes cakes or Hostess twinkies and whatnot which are nothing BUT sugar)
3. Go easy on any sauces or dairy products.. You can eat em just don't make them the staple of your day to day foods..

I guarantee you will lose weight and be eating much healthier.. No need to cut way back on foods you like just cut out some of the really bad shit.. (high carbs, high sugars, high fats)

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:40 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Admin

Steel Cut takes me 20 minutes cooking, maybe another 5 prep and cooling time. It's not hard, it's something you can really start, go take a shower, and then finish.

Rolled oats (and rolled + pre-cooked, aka, instant) actually lose some nutrients. Steel Cut looses some fiber over the whole oats, but it cuts the cooking time in 1/4 (that outter bran coating isn't easy to deal with, and make the oats taste a bit nutty anyway, so steel cut = good times).

I do like the idea of putting blueberries or strawberries in there, but I don't know if I'd suggest someone to be afraid of a little sweetness in their oatmeal. It's so nutricious anyway, a little sugar won't hurt ;)

Oh, and for some added flavor, take the amount of milk you put in, and make half of it buttermilk. Gives it a richer flavor with a slight twang

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:57 pm
Profile ICQ
Forum Admin

Rolled oats (and rolled + pre-cooked, aka, instant) actually lose some nutrients. Steel Cut looses some fiber over the whole oats, but it cuts the cooking time in 1/4 (that outter bran coating isn't easy to deal with, and make the oats taste a bit nutty anyway, so steel cut = good times).

I actually looked into the nutrition labels and they are nearly indentical for steal cut vs. "old fashioned" rolled oats. Fiber (what everyone is scared of losing with rolled oats) is exactly the same in the steel cut and rolled varieties. Even the instant oats don't lose much--certainly not enough to be considered less healthy.

Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Admin

hmm, I thought they did, or maybe it's from the cooking process since rolled oats don't have all the stuff on the inside.

Either way, steel cut has way better texture :wink:

Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:36 pm
Profile ICQ
BbB Officer

Personally I enjoy the instant oatmeal..

But not the regular flavor or any other flavor other than the maple flavored one..

If you're looking for a diet than look no further than these three ideas..
1. don't eat bread. (also stay low on the hard carbs like Potatoes, pasta)
2. don't drink sugary drinks like soda (stay away from sugars in general.. like drakes cakes or Hostess twinkies and whatnot which are nothing BUT sugar)
3. Go easy on any sauces or dairy products.. You can eat em just don't make them the staple of your day to day foods..

I guarantee you will lose weight and be eating much healthier.. No need to cut way back on foods you like just cut out some of the really bad shit.. (high carbs, high sugars, high fats)

1) you can eat bread (whole grains and oats are fine) Just limit your carb intake to the good carbs and not the bad carbs and everything in moderation. A good thing to do is to find out your basal caloric needs based on your activity level and then figure out how many grams of carbs your body needs a day based on how many calories you burn.

2) you're right don't drink sugary drinks... High Fructose Corn Syrup is one of the leading causes of obesity in America. Simply put, parents suck at regulating their

3) Dairy products are good too. Studies have shown that men who ate three servings of dairy a day lost 25% more weight. Just make it skim or lowfat.

There's a difference between eating healthy and being healthy. If you're working out, then you need carbs. That way your body doesn't start tearing away at your protein intake which is used to rebuild the muscles after you are done.

Studies have also shown that you should eat 25% of your daily needs of protein/fat/carbs at breakfast time.

My ideal breakfast is 3 hard boiled eggs (egg whites only), 1 cup of oatmeal w/ peanut butter, half a grapefruit (or 1 serving of fruit). And, 1 cup of milk.

Ardent, one thing I'm getting at here is that not all of us have 20 minutes to prepare our breakfast. :)

I get up, go to PT (workout), come back to the shop and shower. Many people who are avid about their health workout and don't have time in the morning to prepare a breakfast in 20 minutes and then come back and spend 10 minutes eating it.

I suppose though if you had the time it would be good :-)

Quote:

I already said I was going to try it. It's not like I have a can of oatmeal sitting here at my desk that I can just say, "ooh, I think I'll have a bowl o' oats!"

Alright, alright already... we argue enough in the politics section lol. We agree... that's fine :D

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:02 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]