Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Request: Chicken Broccoli and Ziti 
Hib Visitor

Post Request: Chicken Broccoli and Ziti
Figure it's pretty easy, it's the girl i'm seeings favorite meal. I wanna make it very well and not bland as it would be if i made it based on my knowledge

Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:00 pm
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Request: Chicken Broccoli and Ziti
First off here's a few ways to make a white sauce.

Quote:
The recipes below may be doubled.

THIN WHITE SAUCE:
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk or 1/2 cup evaporated milk and 1/2 cup water

MEDIUM WHITE SAUCE:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk or 1/2 cup evaporated milk and 1/2 cup water

THICK WHITE SAUCE:
3 or 4 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk or one half cup evaporated milk and 1/2 cup water

Melt butter in a sauce pan and whisk in flour and salt until smooth. Gradually stir in cold milk, cooking over direct heat and stirring constantly until sauce boils; reduce heat slightly and continue to stir until sauce becomes smooth and thick. When sauce thickens, simmer for an additional 10 minutes over very low heat, stirring occasionally.
Stir carefully to avoid lumps. If sauce becomes lumpy, use a stick blender or rotary beater to blend out lumps or else press through a sieve. Wondra flour may be used to great advantage since this flour does not have a tendency to lump.

Now that you have the basics to white sauce..

What I would do is go buy the Steam in a bag in the microwave Broccoli flowerettes. I dunno the company name but I don't think there are too many kinds.. Just make sure they are plain and not in some butter sauce or anything. Steam em up and put em in a bowl with a lil salt and pepper sprinkled on em.

Then saute' some chicken in white wine. Pretty simple here. Cut the chickens into strips about oh say a 1/2" to 1" wide and about half the breast length long. I'd use about 5 or 6 full fillets of chicken breast for a pound of pasta. IMO if you make too much just stick some in the fridge for soft tacos for the next day :) Anyway.. Salt and pepper the chicken lightly ( i use Sea salt) and saute them in about enough wine so that they aren't fully covered in liquid. The wine will cook off rather quickly so add more wine a couple times then let it all burn off to finish off the chicken.. Basically you want the chicken to finish cooking just as the pan dry's up.. Pull a piece out now and again to check if its white all the way thru.. Don't serve pink chicken! With it cut up small though it should cook fairly quickly.. Like maybe 10 minutes or so.

Oh almost forgot.. Saute up some garlic in with the chicken.. One or two cloves depending on how much you like garlic.. And now the old Italian trick:

There are several ways to cook garlic in with food depending on your love of garlic:
A lil garlic love - 2 cloves cracked (hit with flat end of knife to barely smash em') and sauted with the chicken (pull out the cloves after the chicken is done)
A bit of garlic - 1 clove chopped finely and added to pan before anything else except some olive oil. Cook garlic in oil til it smells like its cooking, then add chicken and wine.
A lil more - 2 cloves same as prior
Full Garlic Love - 2 to 3(if you dare) cloves sliced very thinly (razorblade optional) and cooked same as previous

Note: never cook the garlic with the peel on (unless roasting the full bulb but thats another recipe)

Ok once the chicken is done you make the white sauce.. I'd add a lil white wine to the white sauce as well.. Doing this I'd either take out about 1/4 cup of water and add a half cup wine using the light sauce or I'd just add about 1/4 cup to the medium sauce straight up and let it dilute slightly making a slightly looser sauce..

Once the white sauce is ready throw the chicken and broccoli into it and stir it all around.. Basically the sauce is all done now and you just want everything coated and warmed up..

Then you can either cook the pasta and mix together in a bowl or cook the pasta and mix in a big ass frying pan with the sauce.. Either way works but doing it in a frying pan looks cooler and infuses the sauce a lil better with the pasta.

Anyway.. Thats how I'd do it.. and I make some pretty goddamn good food.. Shit I AM Italian afterall :D

Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:57 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]